Cabinet Build

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyteds

Reaction score
I am planning on building a cabinet and hood for my 5ft glass tank. What type of wood would people suggest? i dont want to use chipboard or mdf as when these get damp they start to break up and expand. Anyone have any pictures of wooden cabinets they have made?

Kiln dried softwood for the framing and then 22mm Marine Plywood sheet for the top (MDF can be used as long as it's sealed with watered down PVA glue).
CIMG1421.jpg

yes thats the stuff im building the structual part of the tank from in using 2x4 cls timber but need a nice timber to build the cabinet from doors and so on

I used pine and just a clear coat of varnish to seal it. The main worry is water dripping down the sides of the tank and onto the topsheet & frame, not going over the doors, etc. because let's face it if waters going over the doors it means the tanks cracked so doors are the least of your worries :)

I used pine sealed with clear varnish
CIMG0000.jpg

The only concern water-wise is water dripping down the outside of the tank onto the top sheet & frame (usually coming from condensation in the hood). The doors will not be affected unless the tank breaks in which case doors are the least of your worries :)

I really like that ^^^^ makes my hood look so janky lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back