By breeding guppies, am I “subjecting generations of animals to rape”?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Evergreenwolf53

Reaction score
I sent an image of my brand new, 50 gallon, planted guppy breeding tank as I was very proud of it. I’ve been wanting one since I had gotten my 20 gallon guppy tank in October or September. 1 male per 2-4 females or so, all healthy. About 20 of them, soon to be a lot more. A few hours later somebody pretty much came at me and told me “you’re breeding fish that are incredibly inbred and not great to breed oh and also the males rape the females all the time ur a bad person because they can die from pregnancy complications”

So am I the bad person for breeding these fish? None are siblings and none have physical deformities. The females are not harassed constantly and in fact; I have had a female guppy not get pregnant for 3 months. 3 months. Males in the tank.

Who said that?
The way guppies breed usually isn't contentful, but that's just the way it is. if you don't see deformities that's a plus. the ratio of males to females is plenty. I'd say you're ok.:)

Who said that?
The way guppies breed usually isn't contentful, but that's just the way it is. if you don't see deformities that's a plus. the ratio of males to females is plenty. I'd say you're ok.:)
Some random person on Reddit. I checked their post history and they do it to pretty much everyone who has male/female guppies in the background of their image. Somebody posted a picture about a sick neon tetra and they sent the same copy and pasted message they sent me because there were guppies in the back. I agree it’s not comfortable or whatever, but that’s how it is for most fish and other animals. Like I said have about 15 adults and I think only 6 males? I could be wrong, but I definitely have more females. Not to mention I am not breeding any sibling guppies; the exception being the endler sisters I have. Since they’re not male and female, it shouldn’t matter if they’re related. And yup no deformities and no illnesses. They do pass quite often (I’ve lost 2-3 the past two months) but I can’t see ich, bacterial infections, or white, stringy poop to say it’s parasites. My water quality is excellent and theres frequent water changes so I think it’s just the guppies themselves. Plus the ones I lose are from the pet store not anywhere else so I think that just says it all lol

You gotta be kidding. Male guppies raping amuck ! Now I've heard everything. Inbred ? Nope. My personal theory on that one is poor nutrition and exposure to too many aquarium chemicals. Weak fish naturally die out on their own. But, like I said, that's my personal theory. Enjoy your nice aquarium and your fish and consider the source.

You gotta be kidding. Male guppies raping amuck ! Now I've heard everything. Inbred ? Nope. My personal theory on that one is poor nutrition and exposure to too many aquarium chemicals. Weak fish naturally die out on their own. But, like I said, that's my personal theory. Enjoy your nice aquarium and your fish and consider the source.
I agree. My guppies come from all over my city. I have some from local breeders, some from a friend of mine (who lives in another city), some from petsmart (the ones that keep dying) some from Thailand (LFS), and just generally all over. I don’t keep sibling fish of both sexes because then that’s an increased chance of bad genetics.

Some random person on Reddit. I checked their post history and they do it to pretty much everyone who has male/female guppies in the background of their image. Somebody posted a picture about a sick neon tetra and they sent the same copy and pasted message they sent me because there were guppies in the back. I agree it’s not comfortable or whatever, but that’s how it is for most fish and other animals. Like I said have about 15 adults and I think only 6 males? I could be wrong, but I definitely have more females. Not to mention I am not breeding any sibling guppies; the exception being the endler sisters I have. Since they’re not male and female, it shouldn’t matter if they’re related. And yup no deformities and no illnesses. They do pass quite often (I’ve lost 2-3 the past two months) but I can’t see ich, bacterial infections, or white, stringy poop to say it’s parasites. My water quality is excellent and theres frequent water changes so I think it’s just the guppies themselves. Plus the ones I lose are from the pet store not anywhere else so I think that just says it all lol
I see your responsible, so kudos to ya! pfffft reddit

Well by golee I've heard it all from this universe.

Yes, in HUMAN standards fish rape other fish all the time... There is no real "standards"... Its just, "Hey, were having kids whether you'd like to or not". And wth, INBREEDING?... Does he/she even know what their talking about? Its fish incest basically and also, its sounds like you try not to inbreed alot. But it happens sometimes cause when fish grow up they don't go: " Oh ew your my sister" Instead its: "Your a female fish and we will have kids"... And that's life folks.

Well by golee I've heard it all from this universe.

Yes, in HUMAN standards fish rape other fish all the time... There is no real "standards"... Its just, "Hey, were having kids whether you'd like to or not". And wth, INBREEDING?... Does he/she even know what their talking about? Its fish incest basically and also, its sounds like you try not to inbreed alot. But it happens sometimes cause when fish grow up they don't go: " Oh ew your my sister" Instead its: "Your a female fish and we will have kids"... And that's life folks.
couldn't of said it better :fish: 👍 :drinks:

To apply our social mores to fish doesn't entirely work. The guppies might get mated without full consent but that is how they reproduce. No different than any other animal husbandry.

The natural world is full of things that we don't like, for example look up how sea otters reproduce, the females are typically beat up pretty bad and they are mammals, much closer to us. Maybe we should intervene?

Wouldn't stress a response from a troll.

This is a question about our glass boxes. Would these fish breed with one another if they were in the wild? Maybe. Not rape, as it's an extraordinarily strong human word. I don't think it can be used when talking about guppies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back