By breeding guppies, am I “subjecting generations of animals to rape”?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A male wild Mallard duck is way more violent than a Guppy when it comes to getting jiggy with it....several male Mallards gang up on one female and try to drown her, pull her feathers out and generally stress her half to death

And lets not forget Cories.....the males have a size complex and they gang up on the larger females and harrass her to exhaustion when getting jiggy with it

Violence in reproduction is prevelent in the majority of species of living scaled, feathered, furry and human beings, always has been, always will be

Let's step back. One of the reasons male guppies have such colours, and why they are such miserable, relentlessly courting little sh###s, is that females choose their mates. That guy can harass and pose all he wants (and it is a rotten spectacle) but if she doesn't want him, he can go commune with a rock.
That's why fancy linebreeders put pairs in tiny tanks, to reduce choices. If you aren't doing that, then you have no ethics issues. If you are doing that - it's an age old human practice.
Male guppies must be incredibly annoying. Females being harassed by multiple males in the wild have been observed diving in front of the mouths of predators, whose reaction lag means the chasing males get eaten while she swims like mad for cover.
That says she isn't passive, and that yeah, they are as much of a pain in nature as they are in aquariums.

I don't think there is the power, dominance and cruelty basis that drives twisted human rapists.

I used to keep a large predatory livebearer I caught in Honduras, Pseudoxiphophorus bimaculatus. The males were tiny with huge gonopodiums, and the females were 5 or 6 times their size. If a male courted and didn't get the message about his being unwelcome, the female would turn really quickly, and bite off his gonopodium. It didn't grow back.

Let's step back. One of the reasons male guppies have such colours, and why they are such miserable, relentlessly courting little sh###s, is that females choose their mates. That guy can harass and pose all he wants (and it is a rotten spectacle) but if she doesn't want him, he can go commune with a rock.
True, the female decides wether she allows a male to mate with her or not. Even though a male can chase a female the whole day, if she doesn't want to mate, no mating will take place.
And yes, the colors of a male just have the purpose to attract a female. Most females will go for the brightest colored male. And the male will make the colors more brighter by flaring with his fins.
That's why fancy linebreeders put pairs in tiny tanks, to reduce choices.
You're so correct! :good:

My female guppies have almost 0 interest in my male guppies 😂

Right now every single guppy I have was bred and raised from my tanks, with the oldest batches being about 9 months. And I painstakingly recorded who had which parents / when they were born all lined out in order to avoid in-breeding. And I finally picked out my best male and three of my roundest healthiest females and put them in a breeder tank…. And the females just give the fin to the male fish it’s kinda sad watching my male fish practically have a stroke and the three ladies aren’t even facing him.

One time just to see I dropped one (1) male fish in my female guppy tank and I swear every single female went to the opposite corners of the tank and there was just this isolated bubble around the one male as if no one wanted to get closer than 5 inches. A week later he was still extremely isolated from the others 😂

I’m sure things happen when I’m not looking. But when I am the male guppy is always always by himself being very much avoided by the ladies.

My female guppies have almost 0 interest in my male guppies 😂

Right now every single guppy I have was bred and raised from my tanks, with the oldest batches being about 9 months. And I painstakingly recorded who had which parents / when they were born all lined out in order to avoid in-breeding. And I finally picked out my best male and three of my roundest healthiest females and put them in a breeder tank…. And the females just give the fin to the male fish it’s kinda sad watching my male fish practically have a stroke and the three ladies aren’t even facing him.

One time just to see I dropped one (1) male fish in my female guppy tank and I swear every single female went to the opposite corners of the tank and there was just this isolated bubble around the one male as if no one wanted to get closer than 5 inches. A week later he was still extremely isolated from the others 😂

I’m sure things happen when I’m not looking. But when I am the male guppy is always always by himself being very much avoided by the ladies.
Man, must be one ugly guppy 😂😂...
Sorry I had to

Man, must be one ugly guppy 😂😂...
Sorry I had to
Starting to think ALL my male guppies are fugly in the eyes of my ladies 😂

My ladies have standards and
A2F64E15-35C0-46C7-A9F5-296235D5D928.jpeg

They don’t want his booty

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online