Why don’t my endlers breed?

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I have a small, heavily planted 6 gallon tank which I have been using to keep some endlers while deciding whether to divide them into my separate sex guppy tanks. I realise they are slightly over stocked, with two males and six females. In just over 3 months none have developed round gravid bellies and no fry have appeared. They were between one and two months old when they were placed in the tank. Is it just that they are still young? Or is it a water quality issue?

Pictures of the fish so we can see what sex they are?
What is the temperature of the water?
How often do you feed them and what do you feed them?
How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Yes, some pictures would be nice as Colin has already asked for...
In general, endlers are not that hard to breed. Endlers produce offspring with temperatures from 17°C (if they're kept at lower temperatures) till 30°C. A frequent till a sporadic water change, endlers will reproduce. Endlers don't mind some dirt in the water.
The current age shouldn't be a problem to reproduce. So, something else must be the reason.

But just know that the female decides whether a male may mate with her or not no matter how often a male tries to mate with her. And if she's mated and stores sperm packets of that mating, doesn't always mean that a female will become pregnant right away. She will decide when she will release one or more sperm packets to fertilize her eggs. If that won't happen, she won't be pregnant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back