Brooklynella or Ich? And what are alternative treatments?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Marizard

Reaction score
So in the past 2-3 days, my new clownfish showed symptoms of what I assume is brooklynella.
I had fish with brook in the past so I started treatment right away.

Where I live, formaldeheyde is illegal to sell, so I'm doing a 5 minute FW bath followed by a 60 minute metronidazol bath, and dosing a small amount of metronidazol into the QT.

Yesterday, I talked with someone that had similar issues who recomended me to buy "eSHa Exit" which contains formaldeheyde and green malachite.
The seller sold me the remedy but was vary wary, as he said it was used for freshwater fish, not saltwater, and it was very dangerous.
I ended up not using the remedy, cause I didn't have enough info.

I continued my normal baths, but the fish seem to not be responding anymore.
I didn't do a freshwater dip followed by the metro bath so I'm thinking maybe that was it.

You can see in the video some white spots in it's head, and some in his dorsal fins.
My question is: is this brook, or is this ich? And how can I treat any of them, being that I can't buy pure ingredients anywhere.

Link to the video:
PS: the fish are active and still eating.

It doesn't look like brooklynella or white spot.
Brooklynella causes creamy white patches to appear over parts of the fish's body.
White spot shows the typical white dots that look like salt sprinkled on the fish.

They are both external protozoan parasites that can be treated with Malachite Green or copper sulphate.

White spot can be treated with heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white spots have gone.

Metronidazole won't do anything to either parasite and is used for internal protozoan infections.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back