Bristlenose Vegetables

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TC33

Reaction score
Hi All,

So today I got myself a Super Red Bristlenose.
Not sure on the sex yet as its too young and thought I would just leave it to chance.

I have algae wafers already and usually feed my current tank twice a week on frozen. One day bloodworms, one day brineshrimp.
Other days its pellets for the Cory's and Flakes for the guppies.

But I read that Bristlenose are more into the veg side of things and have never really done that before.

From experience what is the veg they most prefer and how do you prep it?

Cheers, TC

Blanked Spinach, No contest. I wrap them around a rock with a rubber band to create a plant like arrangement and boil it a couple minutes rinse in cold water and install in the tank.

Last edited:
How often would you do it and how long do you leave it in the tank?

How often would you do it and how long do you leave it in the tank?

Once a week in "normal time", Everyday if you "have babies", and let it there for as long as it doesn't decompose to mush, remove it before it becomes unmanageable.

I have lots of Bristlenose. Zucchini is their staple diet. Cut the stem off, cut them into quarters and rubber band them to a rock and drop in. Replace after 48 hrs if they don't eat it all. After a while you will know how much they eat in a day or two. Adjust the amount you put in accordingly/

Brussels sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, bell peppers, etc...

+1 on spinach - they love it. Just drop into a cup of boiling water, rinse off and allow to cool.

Cheers all, another QQ if I may.

Does it need to be organic or anything. Or will boiling it remove any potential chemicals?

I feel strange asking, will this cucumber kill my fish from chemicals farmers have used before then making myself a sandwich with it............

I did see a youtube video of a guy just pouring in a whole can of tinned greenbeans into his tank, he was a breeder and had far more than a single inch long Bristenose (Don't think mine would be that hungry). But seemed to me they could not be that sensitive if that was an approach.

I have been feeding Zucchini and other vegetables for years and have never washed or boiled them. Boiling just makes them softer and they deteriorate quicker. Yes they like green beans too especially right out of the can. Highly unlikely that food meant for humans would be allowed to have harmful chemicals on it no matter what you hear on the internet..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back