Bristle Worms Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
So just picked up a new 29 gallon saltwater tank for a steal but the live rock in it has what I think is bristle worms.
Now I've just spent the better part of an hour reading up on these and just like everything else in this hobby there's a million and one opinions on if there good or bad most people tend to think there good for cleaning up dead matter and other stuff and even if they are I don't want them since I tend to put my hands in my tanks a lot I don't want a population of worms that can sting that day lights out of me.
So here's the question most people say traps work but not very well so I was thinking of getting a fish or crab that would hunt them down and eat them.
Have any of you guys delt with these worms in the past? What did you do in your situation? And what kind of critter or fish could you suggest that would be ok in a 10 gallon tank and would eat these worms?

I'm most certainly in the keep it camp. They are beneficial. Also, they don't sting the daylights out of you. They are hidden most of the time so really it's only when you pick up rock by the bottom that it's an issue. 
The traps do work but the fact is you likely have so many worms you won't be able to catch them all and most of them are hiding in holes in rocks or caves in the back of the tank where you can't get to them. The traps will trap them, but they don't always head that way. 

This video is what it looks like to get stung...

http://youtu.be/oEbuO9feTGM

And this video is my opinion on the worms...

http://youtu.be/WHxIcPgrggY

Live rock is always most safely handled with gloves, particularly if you don't know the full extent of what's lurking in it at the time. Most bristleworms that you will find on live rock are nothing to worry as already said. Their larger taxonomic group also includes some species that are bad (i.e. Hermodice carunculata), but those species are really quite rare. Most people get by just fine leaving the small ones alone. Some people will also pull out any large errant ones with forceps as a precaution. Large coral banded shrimp and arrow crabs will control bristleworms to an extent, as will large hermit crabs, but the first two are unsuitable for a 10gal and the large hermit would only work as a species tank. The best method of bristleworm control if the population is out of hand is to reduce feeding and manually remove any that are actively out and searching for food to thin the population. By "out of hand" I mean situations like worms poking out of every crevice and running about actively while the lights are on. A worm or two that is periodically visible is just fact of life for most marine tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back