Breeding Traps

kevin007

Hmmm...cories
Reaction score
i have saw some breeding traps today but will my pregnant platy stress out when i put her in the breeding trap? and i'm not even sure if she will have any more babies, i used to have 3 platty and now i only have 2 cause 1 died and tat might be her mate, so will my platty still give birth next month without a mate? -_-

The Breeding trap that i am thinking about is the 1 when the baby frys can go to the bottom layer when it is born, u kno wha i mean... :hyper:

Kevin :lol: :D :p :look: :fun:

I put one of my platys in a breeder net, and she practically busted it trying to get out. Now I just leave any pregnant fish alone and if I get some fry, I try to scoop them out (or not in the case of the guppys)
Platys can hold the sperm for like 3 or 4 months, so theres a good chance you will have some in a month, if she was pregnant before, or was in with a male for awhile
Shawn

i don't think i want to scoop them out cause that might brake their fragile little bones...

okay what do u think it's better? putting my platty in a breeding trap or putting it in a 1.5 -2 gallon plastic critter box with marbles as a substrate? :hyper:

Kevin :lol: :D :p :eek: B)

marbles tho the traps allways did do the job for me the marbles is better for the fish i htink

Yeah will stress her a little when u r scooping her, but I think it'll b fine coz it'll only take a few minutes max. :unsure:

When I tried to scoop my prgnant molly out of my tank to put her in the 5 gallon she was a fast little bugger. It was hard try to get around all the stuff after her though, I finally got her and she still had fry!

so it's okay to scoop her but there is another choice for me now! either

1.leave it alone in the tank
2.put it in my 1.5 gallon with marble as a substrate
3.Breeding Trap

I want to make na poll but it's too late now so ppl, just vote... PLZ?

Kevin :lol:

I would put her in the 15.gallon marble tank! I would also put some plastic plants and hiding palces for the fry tohugh. If you can only put one palnt in it due to the size of tnak then just put the 1 palstic palnt in. When my molly was pregnet I put her in the 5 gallon and had lots of fake palstic palnts floating on top of the water, a cave on the bottom of the tank and some plastic palnts anchored down. So just try and get lots of hiding palces.

I've heard breeding traps cna put lots of stress on the fish and sometimes causes the fish to abort labour which they can do. Some people say their V breeding traps (V-trap is what you have I suppose from what you said) work fine but others say it's not worth losing the fry to abortion of fish and possibly loosing the mom from stress.

If you left your fish in the home tank their is a good chance all the fry will be eaten, escpially if there isn't LOTS of hiding palces and if there is lots of other fish. Some fry survive in the main tank tohugh if they have lots of hiding palces. I've also herd people say the fry was cuked up the filter and they found the fry growing up fine in the filter.

Float some live cambomba on the top so that it gives the fry some kind of protection from the mother, i don't really like breeding traps because they limit the amount of oxygen, stress mom out to much. I give my mum the best by putting her in a seperate tank with floating plants, also have a bio-foam filter 45 so that the water is kept fresh and clean.I havent used marbles so i couldn't really comment.

I use the clear vented double beta/birthing buoyant housing. Now say that 3 times fast. lol . I just remove the center divider and its 7x5x5, not including the 1" drop through grate space for the fry. It cost about $12.00. I catch them by feeding them while holding it in tank when they come up I just let it raise up around them, and they don't see it, No stress at all. At least thats what they tell me LOL. :p

Crusty Barnacle said:
I use the clear vented double beta/birthing buoyant housing. Now say that 3 times fast. lol . I just remove the center divider and its 7x5x5, not including the 1" drop through grate space for the fry. It cost about $12.00. I catch them by feeding them while holding it in tank when they come up I just let it raise up around them, and they don't see it, No stress at all. At least thats what they tell me LOL. :p
that's a good idea maybe i could do the same to my marble 1.5gallon tank..
i'll try to find some fake plants. and i don't think my platy will give birth any where near cause she just gave birth 3 days ago :D

Kevin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back