Breeding My Galaxy Rasbora's - Journal

They look awesome still. I love when the fry are small and eat BBS cuz you always know when they are feeding cuz of their orange bellies.

About how big are the fry? few centimeters/few inches?

about 1cm, if that. tiny tiny fish :) once they are eating flakes they can hang out in a breeder net in the community tank until they are big enough to survive my Betta lol

Day 46 :hyper:
They are being fed live food and ground up Hikari Micro Pellets (what the adults get fed) and are living in a breeder trap in the community tank. I think they will be in there for a while yet because...
Jerry Betta lol
2010_1021algae0006.jpg

He doesn't understand why they are still feeding when he has eaten his dinner already.

They have a baby apple snail and an unknown snail (we thought it was an apple but not sure) in there to try and keep it clean. They also normally have some moss in there to hide in but i took it out before the pic so i could syphone left over food out

This is the first day i've noticed this, so i will show an image for it. The fry ( are they still classed as fry? lol) are starting to get orange colouration on their fins :)
fry1.jpg

Hopefully the black patterns will follow shortly and i can get a photo of that too

as you can see, they are still just cute little fishes
fry2.jpg

ETA: all my equipment is being disinfected and getting ready for re-use

They've definatly grown a lot since last time. Good luck raising them ;) :cool:

I actually have a question for you. I'm in the process of breeding mine now and i have little tiny egg like specs and I can't tell because i've never seen them before. They look kind of like the egg pictures you put up but I can't get close enough to fully be able to tell. Not a very good description but I didn't want to post a pic. If you wouldn't mind helping I can pm a pic or post it here.

Definately a job well done! :D

post a pic on here if you want :)
the eggs are pretty blatant and considering the size of the fish, are quite large.

The babies have been let out into the main tank now :) its difficult to picture them but they have started to get their little spot patterns and are slightly more orange on the fins. they chase each other in circles and around the vallis leaves. its all ever so cute

I've noticed that there are definately eggs but they aren't scattered about. They don't quite look like thepictures you've posted and there is 3 spots where I see them. They're are about 10 eggs in each group and they are encased in some sort of bluish sac like stuff. I know that cpd eggs aren't that sticky and there is on spot where the sac is stuck to the glass. The wired thing is though is i don't know what else they could be from since I have nothing else in the tank except for the cpd and a bn pleco. No snails or anything. Kind of strange really.

Absolutely intriguing little journal, v well done! And great that you made the effort to go through the motions and really have a go at it!

Keep us posted!

Skittles

fry count 4 - 2 free swimming 2 still holding onto the edge.(4 days since removing parents)

thanks everyone :)
and well done Katch!

The two fry i have are definately different. One has all the spots and is very orange on the fins. There aren't any black lines on the fins yet so im wondering when they will also develop.

Im also wondering if its possible to tell the difference between the sexes as early as a few months simply by the difference in colouration (which is visible in the parents too). Im going to try and get some pictures tomorrow evening of both of them, and of the parents so you can see what im talking about

I successfully sexed 6 females from my LFS which were all less than 6 months old. The gravid spot on the vent is the key.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back