Breeding My Galaxy Rasbora's - Journal

Good to here it.
Cant w8 to have a go my self when things start to progress. Keep us updated with pics.

i like this journal, well done Rye!

:good:

Hows the fry getting along?
Have you got any new pics of them?
I have just uped mine from 10 to 15. in my 125 liter.

Day 23:

the fry are amazing :)
ive been trying to get pictures but they haven't been turning out. Two days ago (day 21) they began feeding on the baby brine shrimp. You can see their bellies all orange when theyve fed. They are about 1cm in length now and are starting to darken up.

They started to develop really tiny fins at day 15, which you can really see now.

2010_0928weekendout0193.jpg

They are currently sharing their little tank with some baby apple snails that hatched last weekend

I am so happy for you. They are really starting to look like great little fishies.
I hope mine bread. would like to up my numbers 2 around 20 from 15 but i want them to be my own little ones(not store bought)
keep us posted.
good look.

Buying a really cheap tank from Asda later in the week to breed the fish again
BTW do asda sell fish tanks?

I say 'Tank'... its more like a tiny little plastic tub or bowl with a goldfish painted on the front of it. It didn't come with any filter or gravel or anything. It was £8 though and perfect for this kind of thing - well, when you only have a few fry anyways

How are they then at day 26. I think mine are showing spawning behavior.
2 of them in particular spend most the day circling each other almost touching tails as they slowly swim around.(is that spawning behavior??

This was them the other day doing the swirling i was talking about. :unsure:

Sorry to hijack your journal btw

If they are two males then they are doing a stand-off with each other. They will be flaring fins, chasing and circling each other. All four of my males do this to each other and then begin a persuit after my poor female haha.

There aren't really any changes with the fry as such. They are big enough to fit in the breeding trap i have (not able to swim straight out the vents), and i was tempted to put them in the breeder and float them in the community tank, but one of my Cory's is ill and one of my Rasbora's is a bit off so im not risking anything. They are getting an air pump today because i believe they are finally big enough to be able to withstand a current and it'll help with oxygenating the water (so far its only been water changes two or three times per day. They are eating loads of BBS. The BBS seem minute compared to the fish now, when they were huge against them at day 7 or so.

excellent work so far ryefish! Im excited for you. i think galaxy rasboras are a beautiful species, and your ability to raise their fry is pretty sweet. I have a question though. Are Galaxy Rasboras known having difficult to raise fry?

I don't know if they are difficult or not, i just know that as egg scatterers its generally more difficult to get them to breed than other fish. Its just a big achievement for me personally to be able to do this, and hopefully this experience will allow me to go on and breed other fish in the future. They haven't so far bred on their own in the community tank though. I don't know if it is because of the environment, predator factor (they are the smallest fish in there), or god knows what else.

lets just hope one of you 2 fry are female. will make breeding them a bit easier when they are grown up.
How big are they now.
I think it is a male and female circling in my little vid plus one or two of the females are looking a bit fatter then normal fingers crossed.

More pics please!!!

Im really curious to see these fish develop.

I have some awesome pics for you :) Its hard to get in-focus pictures of them, so only three out of about 40 turn out properly lol

These guys are SO curious and brave compared to my other fish
you can see the orange belly from the BBS
crop1-2.jpg

crop2-2.jpg

crop3.jpg

They need feeding again in a few hours, so i will see if i can get a video

Im going to start trying to ween them on to flakes soon

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back