Breeding Jack Dempseys

So, after a few months of separation to let the group rest after 4 spawns, I went to check on them tonight and turn the lights off. I noticed that mommy and daddy were acting a little weird. Upon closer inspection....

DSCN5208.jpg

DSCN5209.jpg

And daddy resting after a job well done. That's a lot of goo to spread.

DSCN5210.jpg

The eggs hatched today. I will try to get pics later, but mom and dad have the babies hidden under the rocks. Hopefully mom will move them to the open as she tends to do sometime and I can get some good ones. Looks to be a pretty good sized pile of wrigglers.

Brilliant pics and vids, baby JD's are just too darn cute :)

Just a quick video of mom moving the youngins around. There are two piles at the moment because she decided she didn't like where they were. Took her a while to move them all, and this video gives a decent idea as to how many there are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40g5Pq-d8U&feature=plcp

And we now have liftoff....let the games begin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gaOw4QUgWc

Well, its been a while since I have been on TFF (about 2 months) so I though I would bring an update. Work got in the way and I couldn't keep up on BBS cultivation and unfortunately, mommy and daddy didn't want to take care of the babies, and ate them. They have since then spawned. In fact my sister noticed them yesterday. Another batch of about 600. Now that work has calmed down I can safely say I will be able to raise this batch.

They are still little wrigglers, but hopefully in the next couple of days I should see some lift off action. I'm only going to intervene by feeding BBS, so it will be up to mom and dad to keep them safe and what not. In about 6 weeks they will move to the grow out tank :)

I still have some from my first surviving batch lol. They are about 5 months old now and pushing 2 inches :p

I love raising little baby fish. Something so neat and gratifying about it.

Got some picture updates. The babies decided it was time to free swim .

DSCN5327.jpg

DSCN5328.jpg

daddy is keeping guard
DSCN5329.jpg

mom and dad both
DSCN5330.jpg

DSCN5334.jpg

DSCN5335.jpg

Got some more pics. All the babies are now up in the water, free swimming their little hearts out.

DSCN5364.jpg

DSCN5365.jpg

DSCN5366.jpg

DSCN5367.jpg

And for thosecurious about my remaining youngins from previous spawn. They are getting so big, and coloring up very nicely.

DSCN5354.jpg

DSCN5350.jpg

DSCN5349.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

DSCN5344.jpg

Most reactions

Back