Breeding Gourmis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

not currently when I do a post tomorrow with pics I will include one for you, I found basically any lid that floats works for breeding bubble nest breeders

OMG! I'm glad to hear you can use this for bubble nest builders. I have had one male and 2 female dwarf gourami FOREVER and I had began to think maybe he wasn't into girls. I bought another female and male for the same tank, they are dwarfs too, but the male is the weird hybrid color and the female is a solid ghost blue color.

I bought a little cheap plastic plant and tore the leaves off of it to give them floating "vegetation". I can't seem to find floating plants anywhere, and didn't want rotting plant material in the tank. They didn't do anything. I managed to find some duckweed, they swam around it a bit and lost intrest. My platies liked playing in it though. My pleco finally ate it all =(.

I'd never heard of the lid thing, but I'm glad to hear I'm not out of options =).

not currently when I do a post tomorrow with pics I will include one for you, I found basically any lid that floats works for breeding bubble nest breeders

OMG! I'm glad to hear you can use this for bubble nest builders. I have had one male and 2 female dwarf gourami FOREVER and I had began to think maybe he wasn't into girls. I bought another female and male for the same tank, they are dwarfs too, but the male is the weird hybrid color and the female is a solid ghost blue color.

I bought a little cheap plastic plant and tore the leaves off of it to give them floating "vegetation". I can't seem to find floating plants anywhere, and didn't want rotting plant material in the tank. They didn't do anything. I managed to find some duckweed, they swam around it a bit and lost intrest. My platies liked playing in it though. My pleco finally ate it all =(.

I'd never heard of the lid thing, but I'm glad to hear I'm not out of options =).
Plastic plants in my mind are well just that its plastic. Duckweed hmm never used it I hate that stuff actually. What I would recommend is java moss i have used it for many years baught my first cup full about 4 years ago and glad I did. I have found with this stuff I have had better luck in rasing small fry to adults especially in non mature tanks. I have had breeding tanks cycled in 1 day with a chunk of it in there. The plant type you see me using is Java moss and I know my sponge filter is working perfect cause its rated for higher than the tank and I have lots of Hair algue :) and that means the filter is doing its job only issue is it sticks to the moss.

Sorry all been a little busy going to post up some pics when I find my camera I forget where I put it. And little before the update action the babies are doing great we have about 4 that are big the rest are still a little small but when we get the other tank we have cycled we will be moving them 1 at a time into the new tank and keeping the smaller ones in there breeding tank to get bigger that way the food isn't hogged from the bigger ones.

my gouramis totally love the amazon frogbit for making the bubble nests , just another thought for people
underneath view (bit blurred i know sorry)
1001.jpg

top view
1003.jpg

Good luck with the breeding theshadowinc

Figured I would add a reply well I am waiting for the silicone to dry I am currently going to move them into another tank with the tank water they have and same filter and heater etc. I have a spared tank that alot of my java moss sits in so I emptied it and resealed it just waiting for it to dry and then the babies will be in a new home same size tank thow but this time no gravel. The current tank theya re in is leaking very much so lost about 1.4 tank of water in about a week hmm. So I figure its leaking and not only that I seen today that the wood underneath the tank seems damp and has raised a little bit so a tell sign that the tank is leaking all the babie are doing very well. I have about 2 that are still very small the others have jumped in size in the last 2 weeks I am still amazed at how small these little guys are. This weekend I am going to look at 2 Juvy Discuss someone is selling and holding onto for me this Saturday :) Woot. My new planted tank is going to consist of about 7 maybe of discuss all different colours if possilbe and I might try and breed them if they pair off and would do the same as what i am doing now witht he gourmis. This would be even a more challengine experience for me then breeding just bubble nest layers. My luck factor with angles if very low. So hopefully with enough research about them we will have some babie discuss later and I am finding out that all fish prices are rising here where I live and wow 7-10 bucks for Gourmis and anywhere from 50-150 per Discus ><. I always thaught a pet is a pet lol. But meh back to the subject. These gourmis will be removed one at a time starting in week 8 the biggest will be moved to a community 40 gal tank with tetris. I want to make sure that they are the same size before moving them and for the little ones they will stay behind and will be able to benefit from eating time more due to the pigs leaving the nest hehe :) There is starting to get some aggressivness in the tank from the bigger ones. Not only that I have spotted one and not sure of the sex I am gonig to guess at it that its a female ~ and the finage as I guessed would be very pretty can already see red in the lower and upper fins along the outside of the fins very bright. When I get this new one all setup Pictures will look better as it will be sitting wide and not length. This tank will remain sandless for the rest of the breed I want to make sure that all the food that is going in is actually getting eatin and not just sitting on the substrate. There will be java moss in the bottom and transfered from the old tank to the new tank. Now that they are a little bigger I am thinking to myself that this transfer will go okay.

Stay tuned more pics are coming this weekend.

Can you just put any floating circle thing at the top to get your gouramis to breed?

Can you just put any floating circle thing at the top to get your gouramis to breed?
Circle, Square it dont' really matter as long as it floats and I found the key to attract them is to tip it upside down so there is a air pocket in it. I don't know why but it works 99% of the time with all bubble nest breeders even bettas, I find it works really well with bettas. Make sure the lid is bigger than they are by a little bit so they can sit below it like mine did in the photo. The other reason with gourmis especially about the air pocket is I found with java moss they could easily stick it to the lid the other way around it wouldn't work for some reason. Turned it upside down and next day boom there is a nest he built with javamoss and lots of bubbles. :good: Its always happens when i turn the lid over for some reason. But any platic lid will due pretty much just go for something big enough they can hide under. I always use java moss and recomend it in a breeding tank so wouldn't hurt to have the moss in there to help they like to rip plants up to build there nests the lid just gives them a spot and kinda promotes a controled area in the tank.

I love all of these guys and want to keep them all but decided that we are only going to keep a 2 trio pairs and only the best ones the rest will be sold privatly probably. Or to a store for credit.

Could i use a a plasic container lid which is circle and by upside down do you mean that i should have the bit that seals the container facing the surface? :cool:

Could i use a a plasic container lid which is circle and by upside down do you mean that i should have the bit that seals the container facing the surface? :cool:

the part that seals teh container facing up towards the ceiling and best of luck breeding them, make sure you have food for them they don't eat BBS right away!

Whats BBs?

I have tetra variety flakes which has a section for breeding and things like that.

Whats BBs?

I have tetra variety flakes which has a section for breeding and things like that.
BBS = Baby Brine Shrimp. Honestly do research, they come out very very tiny, so tiny the first day I could barly see them. I used java moss to supplement them for there first food is why I recommend it. Also used liquidfry a liquid food supplement to them, I also forced them on to BBS probably as soon as I could. Breeding them is not for the novice breeder at all but with some failed attemps always come success and this is what you learn on more known as experience. Just remember just because I looked like I was lucky the first time I would say was not luck at all I baught the fish for 1 purpose only was to breed them! My breeding experience is well over 10 years and wife well over 5 years doing bettas so that alone will give you alot of background cause bettas are way harder to do, simply because when they sexually maute they have to move to individual cups like NOW! For approx the first week they won't eat anything you put in the tank you are better off not putting anything in the tank for the first week just have a peice of java in the tank so they can feed off the micro food off of it :) (Known as artinia I think)
After 1 week I feed liquifry and start with bbs right away to promote them to go for it instead. then slowly work in other solutions like egg yolk and weind off of the liquifry to see what best suits them then I stick to what works the best. Getting the parents to do there magic is no work at all really with a little bit of patience but raising the fry is a whole different experience. But really think about it I reco using a new tank setup for them, cycle a tank seperate Lightly planted I used just java moss and have the water lvl at about half full or empty how every you look at your cup :rolleyes: . cycle your tank this way with gravel cause you need something for the java moss to stick to your your palnts hehe. Bare bottom is actually better for them easier for them to find the eggs, that goes for all bubble nest builders! Make sure you have melafix on hand as you tend the babies and they get stressed use what is reco for 3 days followed by a water change. Also look at doing smaller water changes everyday with them when babies compared to large water chages everyday and use a drip system method for filing the tank up should take you atleast a day to fill the tank using a drip method. ~ Tie a knot in airline hose ~ They can stress very easy when that tiny and die very quickly with out you actually knowing what happened. (only add the melafix if you where in the tank and they are floating on the top looking like they are looking for air its a sign they are stressed)

Part of my update so far I have recently moved them to a grow out tank and boom bad news the tank has a tiny leak. LoL I think I just need new fish tanks lmao, well resealed the old one and it held water for 1 day straight and had a time of 1 day to cure thats good enough for me. All the fish have been moved over. The rather very large ones are bigger than the tetris I have gotten for our community tank so I put the big ones in my daughters 40gal to grow out! 2 total where freakin huge the size of a dimn :) What that means to a breeder those would be very good stock ^^ you don't usually see those ones for sale anyways lol. all the others are about the same size about half the size of a dimn so they remain in there so they can actually eat a good meal without being disturbed from the bigger ones. I know i have said pics are coming you just all need to be patient its taken alot of time for me to do alot of this. Pics are coming thow. When transfering to the new tank alot looked very stressed so I have added some melafix something I actually swear by with water conditioner alot of them are just sitting on the top although they did eat and thats a good sign. The need there rest so I have decided not to take photos of them right now. The 2 that are now in the main tank are doing very well and actually eating frozen brine shrimp woot in no time they will be showing there colours! As for the smaller guys they will actually get a meal now and that is good need them to catch up to the others but I have patients for them.

Miah002 here is a story for you dont' want to scare you but just want you to be aware of the unknown!
The story that kinda scared me and the wife when we did bettas!
I was thinking of doing a post that might get pinned for food choices for gourmis and pecific to them. From breeding to properly getting them ready for really good fry. My taughest experience was with bettas when we had a hatch of over 600 eggs, and we where not ready for it at all well not that many! little tip 1/2 of them died I had 3 20 gal tanks running and all where mature, only problem was I couldn't stay up to there food needs and water changes especially after individually sexing them all which took forever. Out of that batch I ended up with aprox 300 total 120 where males and the rest where females I had to invest in a 55gal grow out tank for them which is now my main planted show peice in my living room! I got lucky on that one not only where there more females that I could just house together, but I had over 100 damn cups of males in my house at the time water changes where a pain in the #### every night I come home and 50% water change to each one took me over 1hour to do everynight. Water change always included a feeding and they where feed in the morning before I went to work! Took about 30mins total to feed and make sure everything was going okay! Since then I am smart and decided since I am not ready for bettas its better to not breed them at all. Funny part was we where educated and doing it for well over 3 years at that time just never expected a complete scare like that, It was hard to believe so many eggs came from 2 females, yes 2 females we used to let the one spawn and take her out put another one in right away. We could have been even worse off if the both decided that day they wanted to lay 500 ea!<its the same method used in gourmis breedig with more than one mate all thow more successfull in goumis doing it then bettas who would have ever thaught I would have actually worked out in the end ><
Dont want to scare you but it gives you a look at what is possible and they are recomended to breed with 2 females :) means 1200 eggs are possible, usually 600 per female is estimated at max.

Just so you know I baught a BBS Hatchery, did the DIY method and had good success with it but prefer the hatchery over any other method!

Okay everything seems to be okay now with the babies now moved ended up losing a total of 2 so far and maybe 1 more if it don't do to well. I guess this time around they really got stressed out alot of the bigger ones are going really good and swimming around showing signs of well just pure love for each other I guess. 2 where released in to a semi planted tank and are feeding on flake and blood worms just perfect woot! Now just need to wait for these others to come along and see how they do within the next week I will put some more pics up and also let you all know when they are moving to what is going to be there main home till the grow out and get rehomed from there and we have decided only to keep a trio of them for now. Even with the bad news about the tank leaking still didn't end up losing as many as we thaught we thaught we would have lost at least half of them due to stress from moving. So guessing these are some really strong babies woot!

Wow thats a lot but i already have 90 litre free and i will be getting a bigger tank soon.

I think i'm getting 180 litre so i will be fine.

Wow thats a lot but i already have 90 litre free and i will be getting a bigger tank soon.

I think i'm getting 180 litre so i will be fine.

180L should be good as a grow out for them :)

I just dumped all mine in the planted tank we have, we had issues for some reason in the smaller tank and lost about half the batch! I was not happy all water qualities where good ammo/nitrite 0 it actually puzzled me till I seen one of the corys passed on and seen it had an internal perasite <- did not make me happy at all and still don't know why it had it! They are all swimming in a bigger tank now all happy with me ending up losing both corys due to the virus and half the batch of babies, but good news is they are eating frozen brine shrimp now grind up with a cheese grater :) These things are still very tiny most of the ones I lost where the smaller ones and I figured to late to try and treat them. I let the treatment go on and when complete i moved them all out and into the big tank, bigger tank less problems can arise! So now the fun beggins watching them grow out and watching them get there colours! The only thing I don't like about these are the Gourmis Disease they can get, nothing can usually be done with babies for it and can cause a huge loss. But this was done for fun and something I really enjoyed doing. We are actually so close to them because of the deaths of the others we have decided not to sell any of them we want to keep them all :)

I have pictures just have to put them up but they are doing really fine, I had an issue of battling a internal parasite and lost a few of these guys not sure how it actually happen but out of the entire batch we only have 3 servivers that are eating frozen food from our hands :) One is a known female for sure and another a known male, the other hides out alot so hard to tell what sex its been I think over 8 weeks now so this thread will be coming to an end soon and I will post pics and also post pics when they have devolped colours, these fish should look amazing when actually grown up. At this moment in time we are focusing on our planted tank now and looking to build something to house fish in, in our kitchen so if we decide to breed something will make it much easier for us as well as having hospital tanks available! :good:
This time we are looking at doing it as perfect as we can!

Pics to come in the next few days!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back