FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blue Ramirezi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know the majority of you reading this probably only clicked on this to discourage me or tell me not to, but for those that aren't:

The other day i got a new tank and instantly wanted more discus, as they are my favorite fish and the one i've kept for the longest,
but then i decided: What if i gave breeding them a shot?
So i searched around, found out a lot about breeding, but i still thought i should ask around for more advice.

So first off, please no one telling me the fish will die. Discus aren't as hard to keep as they say they are. I have kept discus for 2 years and NEVER had any problem what so ever.
And second ANY help would be greatly appreciated. The tank is around 200L but i'm not sure if i should go with a planted setup with gravel and stuff
or a clear bottomed classic breeding setup.

Last thing, i also have quite a lot of breeding experience with other fish (none quite this hard I think)

Thanks Guys :)

-Morgan

Personally, I clicked on it because I wanted to learn more about the process, even though I don't keep discus.  ;)  Sorry I can't help you, but I wish you the best in it.  Discus are lovely fish, but aren't something I'm ready to take on right now.  My water isn't right, so it can run into extra money for me.

Hi Morgan,

I kept discus for a while and had no trouble getting pairs and getting them to lay eggs. I even managed to get the wrigglers hatched and they lasted a week before disapearing (somebody ate them...).  The problem i had was that i was trying to do it in a community tank without moving the other fish out.  If im honest i wasn't trying to breed them, it was just happening. I also had younger pairs which may take longer to get the fish to a swimming age, as they will be learing how to care for them etc...

I ament going to comment on the specifics of what you need as i am not totally sure. But i would say you will need one - possibly two good sized tanks. Source what feed you will be feeding the fry as they grow. The rest is really just trial and error.

Good luck buddy.

Thanks freerunner :) im thinking of feeding freshly hatched brine shrimps once they are done feeding on the parents scales :p 
il keep you updated on how it goes
:)
-Morgan

I managed to breed a pair of leopard snakeskins a while ago. They had a tank to themselves in the end as when left in the main tank they ate their own young.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back