Bottom feeder with betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

S

susangc

Once I have my betta in his new 3 gal. tank for a while, I'd like to add a small bottom feeder. Which would be better in neutral, very soft water?

Susan

:cool: Just checking one more time :wub:

The bottom is a mixture of small gravel and rather large (half to 1+ inch) but very smooth pebbles, and I know that cories have tender mouth parts. Is this good enough?

Susan

Well, if there are no sharp edges, then there certainly will be no problem. Im keeping my cories with fine, smooth pebbles.

P.T.

Hi susangc :)

You are talking about a cycled betta tank, right? :unsure: If not, I'd suggest you get an African Dwarf Frog, or two, rather than a fish. They are small and can tolerate conditions that fish cannot.

Corys are schooling fish and if you only get one it will be scared and lonely. You really should get 2 or 3 of them.

Hi, Inchworm -- it's funny that you asked about the cycling :/

The tank is basically cycling fishless right now. More about that in a sec :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to cycle such a small tank -- my betta is currently in a one-gallon jar and it was more important that I get him into better digs -- but I've changed my mind. Turns out there's so much chloramine in my tap water that our normal water conditioner still leaves about 3ppm free ammonia in the tank!

Anyhow, rather than dose out the ammonia (no fish in the tank, just plants), I'm going to lay off the chems and stop by the LFS, which sells bioballs innoculated with biofilter bacteria for 50 cents a piece. I'll need only one or two to get things started.

So -- back to the ADF question. I will wait for the water chemistry to stabilize before adding anything after the betta, if anything at all. I'm a little concerned about adding ADFs because I've heard they jump. I have a good cover on the tank, but I'm not sure my boss would appreciate runaway frogs hopping about :lol: Because my tank's at work, fresh or frozen bugmeat is out. Can ADFs tolerate dried food or crushed tablets?

Susan

Thanks! I'd been flirting with froggies but didn't think I could keep them :wub:

It looks like the bioball did the trick -- the ammonia's down to zero. Now I'll have to bring the betta in so those little buggies have something else to eat.

I'll start hitting the stores to see what they've got, but I promise I won't add anything until the betta's settled in :)

Susan

susangc said:
...my betta is currently in a one-gallon jar and it was more important that I get him into better digs

... I'm a little concerned about adding ADFs because I've heard they jump. I have a good cover on the tank, but I'm not sure my boss would appreciate runaway frogs hopping about :lol:

... Because my tank's at work, fresh or frozen bugmeat is out. Can ADFs tolerate dried food or crushed tablets?
Hi susangc :)

You mentioned that your betta is in a one gallon jar. I keep my two ADFs in a one gallon mayonnaise jar and it makes a great home for them. :thumbs: I just set the lid on lightly, and leave it off for a few minutes while I'm feeding them. Or, with something like a jar, you could use a circle of nylon net held on with a rubber band, for a lid.

It has a bit of gravel on the bottom and a cave made of a flat stone balanced on top of three smaller stones. If I have a spriggy piece of plant, I put it in too, but right now there's none in there.

There is a special kind of food for them called, "Frog and Tadpole Bites." It's made by a company called HBH and consists of tiny pellets that look like poppy seeds. When I have bloodworms, I feed them to the ADFs. too. But they will be fine with just that basic food.

It's good that you know about the chloramine. :nod:

About the cover.........You'll want to get a good, secure one, because bettas are jumpers, too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back