Bottom feeder recomendations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dunc_man_fishy

Reaction score
I have some tetras at the moment and will be getting some dwarf gouramis. But I also want a bottom feeder like a plec. but they can get quite large and i think most species are a bit ugly. Any recomendations for other species of bottom feeders or where I could get a zebra plec coz they look cool.

I love the corry cats. get at least 2, they are very fun. the constantly wiggle around the tank and seem to be very happy fish. they will also eat anything they find on the bottom or on your rocks.

kuhlii loaches. they take a while to warm up to the tank but are downright adorable once they do i saw all four of mine today, all wriggly and happy and chewing up bits of flake ten times bigger than their heads. they're tiger-striped, long and skinny, with teeny whiskers and big black eyes; not exactly cute, but not ugly either.

If you can't go for cute why not go for super ugly. I have an albino bristlenose catfish (max size 5 in). He's one ugly dude. He is actually so ugly he is cute.

I'd have to say the cories! Albino to be exact! You can't help but lov etheir cute little pink faces with thier pink eyes!!! They clean good too! Julie just got a few!!!
Ron

Hi,
Go for Jilli Corys. They are really adorable. And they are cleaning machines!!
Deb

Gooday dunk man, I,m not sure where you are but if you live in the states, Cichlidmaster has some unusual plecs listed in the buy sell swap forum.

yeah i have looked at cories, but the khuli loach could be just what I am after. As I am also in Aberdeen where did you see the zebra plec somewhere local?

Tri-Mar have zebra plecs for £55 mail order. However, zebra plecs aren't true bottom feeders - they're carnivores with very specific needs (live and frozen food only) and need very good water conditions. I wouldn't call them beginner fish.

Ottos are bottom feeders and quite cute, albeit not terribly spectacular colouring. You would need a school of them however, which might be a squeeze. Dwarf clown plecs are quite attractive - Tri-Mar have some of them for about £20 each. They grow to about 3".

Hey i strongly recommend regular bristlenose catfish. I have three in a 55 litre tank and they do a great job of cleaning algae. They are also very sociable, i have never had ANY compatability problems with other fish, and they are also very hardy.

I also have kuhli loaches which are very cool, but i rarely see mine, i wonder if they are still in there! If you like the look of Plec's then you'll love bristlenose's because they look very similar but only grow to like 10cm.

go for some clown loaches...they're great fun!! :D

and a bristlenose for the sensible clean up option! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back