Bogwood, How To Prepare To Remove Snails And Not Kill Plants...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a stunning piece of Bogwood, that has small tufts of most likely an algae on it. I am having to shut down my lovely planted aquarium for a move. I am dipping all plants in Potassium Permanganate to ensure I kill any snail eggs, as they have got out of control.

Research has not helped...so does anyone know how I can prepare this piece of Bogwood, as I am sure I cannot use the Potassium Permanganate as it would seep into the wood?

I've heard about boiling the wood, but I have no experience doing that.

Duh...sorry my error...meant to say I want to keep the green tufts that have grown on it, thus how do I keep the growth but kill any snails/eggs?

It also has moss on it...here is a snapshot before it was removed from the tank.

image.png

You are correct, that wood will absorb any substance in water in which it is placed, so never use any chemical substance.  These can leech out over time and become toxic, months later.

I personally would not fuss over snails, given the benefit they provide.  And I would question if even boiling would eliminate all of them.

I would be careful with your plants; any chemical strong enough to kill snails is likely going to have a detrimental effect on most plants.

Byron.

I soak my plants for half an hour in warm salty water before rinsing really well and adding them to the tank. I've never had a pest snail since I started doing this and it doesn't damage the plants. This might be a better option

Thanks Byron...

Akasha... I believe you may have found the answer.

The reason for me not wanting the snails is I found I was getting too many MTS and I felt that they were out competing the Rabbit Snails for food.

You send it to me and I leave it in one of my tanks with my assassins for a couple of weeks.

Although you may get some assassin eggs instead... 
nugget.gif

Ha, thank you, not sure it would make it back as it is a stunner
I might see if I can fit it in my tank with Assassins, however I have found in the past they are not greedy enough and thus the other snails can still take a hold.

How many assassins do you have?  I found mine ravage other snails in no time.

You may find the assassins are feasting elsewhere on other food in the tank so not actively hunting.  I find they breed most prolifically when there's a natural meaty food source available like other snails.

Far_King said:
You send it to me and I leave it in one of my tanks with my assassins for a couple of weeks.

Although you may get some assassin eggs instead... 
nugget.gif
Send the wood to me for a few weeks so I can put it in a tank with Clown Loaches,

Far_King said:
How many assassins do you have?  I found mine ravage other snails in no time.

You may find the assassins are feasting elsewhere on other food in the tank so not actively hunting.  I find they breed most prolifically when there's a natural meaty food source available like other snails.
Thanks for the info., I have a few in the Edge, about 4-6, then about 4 in a UFO350. It was the Edge where the Ramshorns managed to breed!
NickAu said:

Although you may get some assassin eggs instead... :X
Send the wood to me for a few weeks so I can put it in a tank with Clown Loaches,
Ha, quarantine again ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back