Quarantine plan to rid my snail issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

C-Monster

Reaction score
Not sure if I posted this in the right area of the forums, but I tried!

So I recently got a pond snail infestation from a plant I bought. Learned my lesson and will quarantine in the future. :) Not sure if this point matters but I want to note that I am killing them/removing them on site. Didnā€™t notice them, left for 3 day weekend, came back and noticed some. They could have been there before I left, but theyā€™d have to have been very small because I pay attention to my tank and check on it frequently - mainly because I enjoy watching it. So there arenā€™t any adults in there currently or ever to my knowledge (I donā€™t think a 3-4 day old snail is considered an adult, but I also donā€™t know enough to say for sure.)

Timing worked out for me I guess because this week I was planning on starting the process of upgrading tanks anyways. 10g to 20g.

After a lot of reading and research, I came to terms with quarantining everything before putting it in the new tank, including the animals. Because even though I know theyā€™re harmless, I REALLY donā€™t want snails. To be safe I figured Iā€™d quarantine the fish/shrimp for 20 days to ensure no newborn snails or snail eggs hatch a ride.

I also plan on getting new substrate and a new filter for the 20g. As well as new everything else - heater, siphon, net.

For the plants I already have, Iā€™m going to do a hydrogen peroxide dip and then quarantine in conditioned water (with periodical water changes etc.) also for 20 days. The reason 20 days is the number I landed on is because pond snails hatching time is 10-20 days. So I actually was thinking of doing 20+2 extra just in case - because with my luck, egg hatches on the final day but the snail is possibly so minuscule after hatching I canā€™t see it yet. So Iā€™m giving the extra two days for fail safe..because I reeeeeally donā€™t want snails. Not sure if thatā€™s been made clear enough. Lol.

For the hard scape (piece of wood and some dragon stone) my thought was dip in pure hydrogen peroxide rather than 50/50 like Iā€™ll do for the plants. After hydrogen peroxide dip rinse really well, then boil everything as well, then let dry for a week. Maybe thatā€™s overkill? I just donā€™t want any chance that eggs or something remain on a n y t h i n g.

Phew, finally done. Allll that being said. Is there anything I could be doing to make that process better? And yes, yes I am crazy. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Quarantining is always recommended for fish - at least 2 weeks with longer being better. And many people do quarantine plants for exactly the same reason as you suggest, to get rid of snails and snail eggs. Though I have no idea how long is the optimum time. Don't forget that eggs of all sorts take longer to hatch in cooler water, so heating the quarantine tank to a temperature safe for plants would speed things up.

Will the hardscape be brand new off a shelf at the store, or from a tank with water and potentially snails? If it's totally dry off a shelf there should be no eggs whatsoever on there, but if it's from a tank of water, quarantining that should work as well. Boiling wood breaks down the fibres so it doesn't last as long in a tank. And there is a theoretical risk to boiling rocks - there is a chance of air pockets inside the rock and heating it to boiling can cause the rock to explode. Though I've never heard of this actually happening which is why I say it's a theoretical risk.
There is also a risk to treating wood with any chemical as it can penetrate inside the wood and leach out when it's in a tank with fish. I would just quarantine the rocks and wood.

Quarantining is always recommended for fish - at least 2 weeks with longer being better. And many people do quarantine plants for exactly the same reason as you suggest, to get rid of snails and snail eggs. Though I have no idea how long is the optimum time. Don't forget that eggs of all sorts take longer to hatch in cooler water, so heating the quarantine tank to a temperature safe for plants would speed things up.

Will the hardscape be brand new off a shelf at the store, or from a tank with water and potentially snails? If it's totally dry off a shelf there should be no eggs whatsoever on there, but if it's from a tank of water, quarantining that should work as well. Boiling wood breaks down the fibres so it doesn't last as long in a tank. And there is a theoretical risk to boiling rocks - there is a chance of air pockets inside the rock and heating it to boiling can cause the rock to explode. Though I've never heard of this actually happening which is why I say it's a theoretical risk.
There is also a risk to treating wood with any chemical as it can penetrate inside the wood and leach out when it's in a tank with fish. I would just quarantine the rocks and wood.
<3 thank you

I will heat the quarantine tanks! Thanks for that suggestion.

I donā€™t mind just quarantining the hard scape (yes it was in the snail tank sadly) but if when I quarantine them and I get snails, how would I treat them then? Could I let the pieces dry for a week letā€™s say? Would that kill snail eggs? I had already booked this wood for a while before putting it in the tank to release some of the tannins, so maybe I already broke the rules there and started breaking it down, oops.

If you let the hard decor dry out, and especially if you can leave it in the sun, for a week or so that would kill any snails and eggs I would have thought.

If you let the hard decor dry out, and especially if you can leave it in the sun, for a week or so that would kill any snails and eggs I would have thought.
Iā€™m afraid of leaving it in the sun outside in Florida because of other insects etc. Itā€™s pretty nasty here. I could let it dry indoors though by a window that gets good sun for a week and then quarantine it? I just want whatever would be most effective. #neveragain - I refuse to deal with snails again lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back