Blue lobster/crayfish grading

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Gazzmeister

Reaction score
hi all, can someone please tell me what a grade A blue lobster/crayfish means. There appears to be multiple grades from A to S that I think relates to the colour pattern and how blue it is etc. Is the A the best quality? Plz advise . Cheers

no idea about grading, but they all turn red and taste the same when you cook em :)

I think grade A lobsters have a hard mature shell and will have more lobster meat than an equivalent grade B soft shell lobster of the same size. Maine lobsters are the best lobsters for eating... blue lobsters are very rare

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36369687

Last edited:
Itā€™s a meat thing! Lobsters across the board are rated for their meat quality & percentage as well as shell hardness. IMO the blue crayfish youā€™re probably referencing isnā€™t worth eating being the cost for one is about 20x the cost of a pound of standard crawfish that we eat down here in the south:p
Iā€™ve never known them to be rated for color or patterns

Never heard of lobster gradings. This is how it works for CRS where it is about colour and opacity. In summary more white is better for these.

Topgradingchart-1-1024x512.png

Thanks for the responses guys, yes I think I may have misread and the grading the seller is referring to is for shrimp, he sells both Shrimp and crayfish / lobster, that must be where Iā€™ve got the grading of A to S from. Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Back