Blue crayfish

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
Well I have just bought a 22 gallon tank specially to put some blue cray fish in so I have a number of quetions....

I'm going to go after the Cobalt blue ones I think as they grow quite small in comparison to other varities.

Do they have a preference on substrate or what colour (dark/light)?
Do they need an area out of the water?
How many can I keep in my 22 gallon? base is 30"x12"

I'll be aking caves and stuff with normal and welsh slate and probable some cobbles aswell.

I have a Fluval 3 filter to go in there aswell.

Do they have a preference on substrate or what colour (dark/light)?
Very fine gravel or sand. They burrow so sharp or large gravel is not a good choice.

Do they need an area out of the water?
Nope.

How many can I keep in my 22 gallon? base is 30"x12"
One. They are generally peacefull, will leave most but the slowest and smallest fish alone, but they will not get along with others of their kind. Generally 20 gallons per lobster is a good amount, to ensure they have adequate territory.

\Dan

I was thinking of using the same substrate as what I have at the moment which is a course sand or really fine gravel, dry it's quite rough but in the water it feels nice, so that should be ok for them? as they dig should I use more substrate than usual?

Thats good, took me ages to make a stable tower out of the water using rocks for my crabs.

I was planning on it as a species tank so was kind of hoping for 2 of them and maybe a shoal of small/fast fish.

My tank is 36" x 12" amd Ive had two blue lobsters in there, they mated and now I have (last count) 30 baby lobsters. Ive moved the parents into another tank I borrowed from Red (thanks Red x ). That tank size is 30" x 12", and erm, they are at it again :lol:

:whistle:

Your substrate sounds great. They would probably appreciate a slightly deeper layer so they may burrow.

You may be able to get away with 2, it really depends as there are different types of lobster called "blue lobster". Also, each animal is different. You may get a pair that don't mind each other, or you may get a pair of fighters. It's up to you if you want to try it or not. Maybe if you have some seperating decor so they can each have a well defined territory, that would be best.

\Dan

sweet, that would be great if I had babies.

There's a dividing part in the decor, it's a large bit of slate, 1 side has 2 caves on and the other is up pointing piecs of slate with a bit of slate covering a part of it.

I'm going after the Cobalt Hammer blue lobter as it only gorws to 5"

I'll post a pic of the set up later on in my bargain tanktopic in members pictures.

Cheers for the help. How do lobsters get on with red claw crabs?

Er, So far mine have had them as a light snack between fishes. :whistle:

lol, i'll keep them in there tank then, would of been nice to have a few different inverts.

why can't hey live together to make a much more interesting tank :rolleyes:

pic of lobster tank now up in members picture section.

by the way what species of blue crayfish/lobsters do you all have?

Most of the crays sold at pet stores are not burrowing species...so whatever substrate you want to use is fine. However with a blue cray black or blue colored substrates supposedly enhance their coloration. A fantastic place for cray info is www.bluecrayfish.com

My LFS man didn't know which type it was as the order booklet he has didn't say, he's finding out for me when he's ordering and if there the wrong type I'l have to find somewhere else that has the right ones. Overwise I'll have them on Thrusday, well in the shop, I might have to wait until my tanks ready/matured!!

I'ved checked out that site and it is pretty good although they don't the max size of most of them which is one of the most important factors I think.

My substrate is white but I have slate and black cobbles in there.

They have a forum on that site that you can ask about sizes... I have no idea what species a cobalt blue crayfish is...but the only truly large species that you can get in petstores that I'm aware of are the Australian species, Cherax Quadricanus and Cherax Canii...both of which can get to over a foot in length! The most likely species that your LFS has is Procambarus Alleni (Florida crayfish) which can get 6-7"...but usually don't get larger than 5". If not P. Alleni, it's possibly that they carry Ornonectes Immunis, which I believe are about the same size if not slightly smaller. Just remember that crayfish are very sensitive to less than optimal water conditions and need a pH of 7, 0 nitrites, few nitrates, alkalinity between 120 and 180, hardness between 150 and 300, COOL water (NO HEATERS! they don't like water temps over 75 degrees), and lots of oxygen! Make sure there is a bubbler near the bottom of the tank! Anyway, I highly recommend you look about www.bluecrayfish.com more closely, and definitely check out the forum...there are some EXTREMELY knowledgeable people there!

I'm already registered on the forum but never post as I didn't know what type of crayfish my LFS can get me, this I will find out on Thrusday.

I have air pumps which I can add and I have the tank heated to 79 at the moment. I can probable lower it a bit but i have scissortails in there aswell.

Although my PH is up at 8.4.....same as my fish shops.

Most reactions

Back