Blue Acara With Green Terror?

Murrayjane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a Blue Acara, an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, and a convict in a 55 gallon. (All Juveniles). Is it possible to place a Green Terror on there too?
Would there be a risk of a Green Terror and a Blue Acara mating?

If I plan on upgrading to a 90+ gallon, will this make it compatible?

The blue acara should not be with these aggressive fish. As they're all juveniles now they might get along okay. But in a small tank (and yours is small for medium-sized cichlids) the blue acara will likely get walloped before too long. On the other hand, JDs and Green Terrors generally work quite well together, despite differences their Central vs. South American origins. Both have the potential to be very aggressive, even psychotic at times. Don't be at all surprised if you find you have two male specimens that simply won't tolerate one another.

Cheers, Neale

The blue acara should not be with these aggressive fish. As they're all juveniles now they might get along okay. But in a small tank (and yours is small for medium-sized cichlids) the blue acara will likely get walloped before too long. On the other hand, JDs and Green Terrors generally work quite well together, despite differences their Central vs. South American origins. Both have the potential to be very aggressive, even psychotic at times. Don't be at all surprised if you find you have two male specimens that simply won't tolerate one another.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for your reply Neale. On the contrary, the Acara is slightly the largest and most dominant fish in the tank. They all seem to get rather well, my thoughts were since I am going to upgrade my tank, is it better to get a terror (or something else that might be more compatible) now and introduce them while they are all young, or should I simply wait until I get a bigger tank and then introduce them?

I think that it is a safer bet to let fish grow together (if you have the room for them if they were adults now, not in an upgrade, just in case the planned upgrade doesn't happen in time). But you can never predict how a fish will change as it hits maturity & it's instincts & urges kick in. An aquarium might me an ocean of tranquility for months, then one fish (in this case my money would be on the intended GT) hits sexual maturity & decides the tank is his. Then it's fish wars all round. An Acara would not stand a chance against a 8 to 10 inch Terror on the rampage.
Having said that, you may get lucky, some people do now & again.
Good luck with your plans :)

A friend of mine had a blue acara, a green terror and a JD in a 100gal tank from when they were very small and he had no problems at all. Had lots of hiding places for them and they each claimed a part of the tank as their own.

You will be fine as long as you go ahead with the upgrade and let them grow up together :)

Just a small suggestion from personal experience. I don't know how the aggression of the EBJD is as compared to a standard, but my male Jack and male GT did NOT get a long, and the Jack wrecked my GTs mouth sparring. The GT now has a permanent keloid on his lower jar from these fights. If you do choose to try to keep them together, please have a back up plan on the off chance that you get the same outcome I did. I was at least able to separate them, and I still have both fish (in fact Jack is a daddy).

Also bear in mind that I have a male GT and a male Dempsey to that is a huge factor to the scenario I had. If you have females, I have no doubt they will be fine together (the jack and the GT) but I do not now how the GT and Acara will work out.

Yeah I think after all the suggestions that it would be a bad idea to do this. Too much aggression in too little of a tank. Thanks for the advice :)

Ebjd are generally extremely peaceful fish. I've even seen them kept with angels. Seems something in the genetics that causes the color and long fins, decreases their aggression. This is just my theory. A suitable tank mate imo would be a severum or a Geophagus of some type.

the GT may take a stronger offense to the blue acara due to the similar looks. I'd avoid it, even after upgrading size.

I dont think the acara & GT are a good idea as they from the same family. GT when it gets older will bully the acara to death and they can be rather Aggressive & territorial im afraid so i wouldnt risk it. A friend of mine had a blue acara & GT together, both very you g in a 4ft tank and they didnt get on then never mind when fully grown hence ive now got the acara!!
As suggested how about a Geophagus of some kind, Ellioti or rainbow cichlids?
Good luck!!

Cheers, Neale
HI there I have a 75 gallon tank with a electric blue acara, 2 rainbow cichlids and I want to know if I could keep a GT in it

Welcome to the forum.

This thread has had no activity in nearly 9 years, and may need to be closed, the OP has not responded in a very long time.

Regardless, it would be best to post your questions in a new thread of your own, so that we can have better details about your own tank before offering advice.

HI there I have a 75 gallon tank with a electric blue acara, 2 rainbow cichlids and I want to know if I could keep a GT in it
No green terrors with peaceful fish. They are called green terrors for a reason, they are aggressive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back