FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

CosmicCow09

Reaction score
What appears to be Blackbeard algae is growing in both my community planted tanks that seems to be killing my plants, they are not dead but they do not grow as fast as they did when they didnā€™t have algae. I have a lot of plants in both my tanks not sure what type all of them are but I know most of them. Both tanks are relatively new but I test often and they seem fine. I just struggle with the balance of light and nutrient. I have some applus floraboost that I have been dosing but the plants seem to be stunted by the algae. I was wondering if there are anything I could purchase to add to the water to clean it up or should I get a little army of ottos or like cut off all the effected parts? Iā€™m lost on what to do and its not good now and Iā€™m worried it will get out of control If I donā€™t start now. Itā€™s basically impossible for me to remove it with my hands and I dont have any tools I would feel safe scrubbing my plants with.I would love to hear any feedback and thanks for reading

A photo would help us confirm (or not), but if this is black brush/beard algae, there is only one way to deal with it--establish (or re-establish) the balance of light/nutrients. Any chemical strong enough (or not) to kill algae is without any question going to harm fish, and possibly plants. And there are very few (only two species I am aware of) that will eat this algae, and they bring their own issues.

Any data you can provide on the light will help; type, spectrum, duration. What exactly is the "floraboost" you are using? My search for this only turns up human food supplements. You are in NY which has (if memory serves me) relatively soft water--do you know the GH? This is part of the balance we need to work out.

Not gonna lie I know nothing about the light itā€™s a petsmart kit tank with an updated filter, the hood came with one I will try and look it up.and my flying fox eats it heā€™s just incredibly inconsistent also sorry about the dirty glass I seldom reach my whole arm in the water cause Iā€™m not trying to contaminate with any gross welding stuff.( I weld for 3 ish hours a day on weekdays and i get worried the stuff will effect them) Oh I almost forgot the fertilizer thereā€™s a pic I got this in a bin of fish stuff at an auction. It didnā€™t say anything about spoiling so Iā€™ve been using it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 78
A photo would help us confirm (or not), but if this is black brush/beard algae, there is only one way to deal with it--establish (or re-establish) the balance of light/nutrients. Any chemical strong enough (or not) to kill algae is without any question going to harm fish, and possibly plants. And there are very few (only two species I am aware of) that will eat this algae, and they bring their own issues.

Any data you can provide on the light will help; type, spectrum, duration. What exactly is the "floraboost" you are using? My search for this only turns up human food supplements. You are in NY which has (if memory serves me) relatively soft water--do you know the GH? This is part of the balance we need to work out.
Oh also I have no clue what gh is Iā€™m not gonna lie

If you are on mains water you should be able to find out how hard your water is from your water provider's website - they may call it hardness or total hardness or general hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement - words can be misleading, and there are about half a dozen different units for hardness.
If you are on a well, the easiest thing is to take some tap water to a fish store and ask them to test for GH. Again, you need a number and the unit.

If you are on mains water you should be able to find out how hard your water is from your water provider's website - they may call it hardness or total hardness or general hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement - words can be misleading, and there are about half a dozen different units for hardness.
If you are on a well, the easiest thing is to take some tap water to a fish store and ask them to test for GH. Again, you need a number and the unit.
Oh okay, thanks for the response and the great explanation. I will definitely be doing that ASAP

...sorry about the dirty glass I seldom reach my whole arm in the water cause Iā€™m not trying to contaminate with any gross welding stuff.( I weld for 3 ish hours a day on weekdays and i get worried the stuff will effect them)
Good move, as metals can be very toxic to fish and invertebrates. You could get a magnetic algae scraper, so you can clean your glass without getting even your hands wet. (I only clean my front pane and leave the rest for the fish and shrimp).
Oh I almost forgot the fertilizer thereā€™s a pic I got this in a bin of fish stuff at an auction. It didnā€™t say anything about spoiling so Iā€™ve been using it
I'd be cautious about using anything old and unknown. It might be out of date, have been stored inappropriately and/or contaminated.
Because more fishkeepers are getting into plants, there's an increasing industry related to plants and there are some good liquid fertilisers out there that are a vast improvement on many of the old, some of which could've been even toxic to fish.

Good move, as metals can be very toxic to fish and invertebrates. You could get a magnetic algae scraper, so you can clean your glass without getting even your hands wet. (I only clean my front pane and leave the rest for the fish and shrimp).

I'd be cautious about using anything old and unknown. It might be out of date, have been stored inappropriately and/or contaminated.
Because more fishkeepers are getting into plants, there's an increasing industry related to plants and there are some good liquid fertilisers out there that are a vast improvement on many of the old, some of which could've been even toxic to fish.
Thank you for the response Oh dang I will definitely be replacing that then, not sure what kind is good, anybody have any suggestions? Also I should get one of the magnets but my old one would pick up sand then scratch my glass

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back