Black Skirt Tetra

jmain

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I find websites that talk about the fins is how your able to tell the males from the females but I have 1 that is a really dark black and 2 of them that are a lighter dark (could this be males and females) or no?
 
You can usually tell by the size. Females will be MUCH larger than males.
 
You can usually tell by the size. Females will be MUCH larger than males.

Ah well I will have to let them grow for a while before I can tell that then. I have only had them for about a week and after my tetra serpa killed the other two serpas in the tank I figured I would make sure I didn't have 3 males of black skirts or red eyes (even though they both seem to be doing fine and all getting along.) With how the serpa acted I wanted to check. Another thing was I did a water change and he attacked them after I did the water change (another reason I have kinda been hesitant along with looking for a way to get quality water.) Is there any explanation on why he was fine before the water change and went crazy after?
 
Stressed out. You drove him crazy LOL.

Now that I think about it, when I kept black skirts the bigger ones (females) were usually darker than the males.
 
Stressed out. You drove him crazy LOL.

Now that I think about it, when I kept black skirts the bigger ones (females) were usually darker than the males.


Should I try to get any more serpas or no?
 
I would take the aggressive serpa back to the lfs. Your choice if you want more or not, but I would get rid of the bully.
 
I would take the aggressive serpa back to the lfs. Your choice if you want more or not, but I would get rid of the bully.


I don't want to bring him back if he is going to be a bully to them :( seems to be doing fine alone but I have heard they need to be in groups. I want to get my schools to at least 5 each and im going to be adding some Dalmatian Molly next to the groups and see how they behave.
 
If your wanting more serpas and the one you have is bullying your fish, take him back to the store and ask for a trade. Tell them your going to buy some more to make a school and they will probably give you a trade-in. That way you get the school of serpas and you won't have the bully anymore. I had to do that with my black skirts.
 
If your wanting more serpas and the one you have is bullying your fish, take him back to the store and ask for a trade. Tell them your going to buy some more to make a school and they will probably give you a trade-in. That way you get the school of serpas and you won't have the bully anymore. I had to do that with my black skirts.


But my little serpa is cool I like him when I first got him he had a nipped fin and it has grown back to full strength (or what looks like it) also he is the brightest fish in the tank lol
 
Try rearranging the decorations/plants. sometimes that will calm down a bully fish.
 
Try rearranging the decorations/plants. sometimes that will calm down a bully fish.

Even though for the most part he stays by the front of the tank actually throughout the day for the most part my fish are at the front half now at night I have no idea what they do
 

Most reactions

Back
Top