Black Sand?

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is there any such thing as CHEAP black sand? Well black sand full stop, I can't find any in my LFS's but online can only find really expensive stuff
 
coal dust

:D

(PLEASE dont use it tho!)

I have black gravel - couldnt find black sand. sorry.
 
sand go's black at the edges of the tank , could get sand and keep moving it about to the sides. Not sure if black sand is ok though or not...
 
You may be able to get your lfs to order in Tahitian Moon Sand. Mind did and it cost about £15 a bag. I think I used about four bags for my 180 litre and I absolutely love it!

...
 
I have some black eco-complete, its sandy subtrate, good for plants and looks good, £22 a bag thoe and onli just enough for my 10 gallon with a bag.
 
Watermarque in Taunton have it for £3.50 for 4kg.

Looks good but abosulte nightmare to clean like most sand.
 
The guys who make Roman Gravel do sand too. I got the black stuff before and it was fine.

Pets at Home sell it, if that helps any?

BTT
 
its really easy once you get the hang of it.

before a WC/Vac stick your hands in the tank and disturb the substrate, to disturb the detritus, then wave over it with the Vac, any fish with teeth Etc, you can fix a fork to a some long implement and disturb the sand with that

HTH

:good:
 
The guys who make Roman Gravel do sand too. I got the black stuff before and it was fine.

Pets at Home sell it, if that helps any?

BTT

Tried there today mate, they didn't have anything. I've just found some on fish and fins, how can I work out how much to buy? Its £4.99 per kilo
 
How do you clean yours? I find my gravel hoover sucks it all up!

I take the wide end off the gravel vac and only use the tube.I hold it about 1/2 an inch off the sand so it only picks up the loose dirt on the sand.You'll always get a little sand but not enough to matter. :good:
 
SOLUTION!!! LFS have got black crushed glass, its fine like sand but only £3.25 per 2 kg!!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top