Black ruby barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TNG

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a few, the males develop deep colours in the past 24hrs. Spawning season perhaps?

Attachments

• _780_1955.jpg
    _780_1955.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,070
  • _780_1958.jpg
    _780_1958.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 30
  • _780_1974.jpg
    _780_1974.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 29
  • _780_1977.jpg
    _780_1977.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 30
Great pictures - very underrated species! Look at them!

I agree with Wills, it's an underrated species... When they color up, it can be a sign of dominance but also time to mate... At least, if I may say from experience.

Reactions: TNG
Lovely fish. I have never been much on barbs, but this species was the exception. I had a group of 9 in a 33g tank aquascaped according to their habitat river; they are endemic to Sri Lanka, in the Kelani and Nilwala river basins. I had to downsize my fishroom when I moved in 2019, so this fish went to a local independent store owned by a very knowledgeable aquarist. I had close to 20 by then, as being on their own in a heavily wooded/planted tank some of the eggs from the regular spawnings did survive and hatch. The fry had no difficulty surviving among the clumps of Java Fern or the bits of wood. The males were incredibly bright ruby red anterior and coal black posterior that made them seem like fiery rockets swimming in the tank.

Lovely fish. I have never been much on barbs, but this species was the exception. I had a group of 9 in a 33g tank aquascaped according to their habitat river; they are endemic to Sri Lanka, in the Kelani and Nilwala river basins. I had to downsize my fishroom when I moved in 2019, so this fish went to a local independent store owned by a very knowledgeable aquarist. I had close to 20 by then, as being on their own in a heavily wooded/planted tank some of the eggs from the regular spawnings did survive and hatch. The fry had no difficulty surviving among the clumps of Java Fern or the bits of wood. The males were incredibly bright ruby red anterior and coal black posterior that made them seem like fiery rockets swimming in the tank.
I didn’t set out to keep this species. I bought the 5 banded barbs, and a Ruby somehow ended up in my bag, so I later bought a few more.
I wasn’t thinking of raising them, but now that you mentioned it I might just try to raise them if they spawn. They currently share a 33G tank with a Betta so I’ll have to move the betta out. Yes I know, many members here, myself included, say a betta shouldn’t be kept with other fish, but this betta is cool with these ruby barbs so far :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back