Black or natural sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rosenbaumn

Reaction score
This is my 29 gal long tank, I really want to switch the substrate to sand for my cories and khuli loaches, what would be best and look best? These are the fish I have:

- two neon tetras
- two angelfish (one silver with black stripes and one koi)
- three corydoras
- two khuli loaches
- three oto catfish
- One bristlenose pleco
- five pristella tetras
- four platies
- four harlequin rasboras
- some shrimp and snails

my filter is a fluval canister filter, ph is on the upper side, Water is on the hard side
Also, what are some good decorations to go with the sand, I want to do A driftwood or rock bridge type thing, or maybe a bonsai driftwood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 109
I personally like the look of natural (Aka brown) sand.

Black sand does make the plants/fishes colors pop more though...

It’s all a personal preference. Just to give you an idea, here is what my 29g tank looks like with brown play sand:
DFBB03C1-2132-47CF-9F37-20A5DB81BBCE.jpeg

I would also suggest getting more neon tetras, and Cory cats. They need to be in groups of 6 or more. (Preferably more.)

Black sand does mange it harder to clean. (As you can’t see poop)

Thats something to consider as well...

It’s all a personal preference. Just to give you an idea, here is what my 29g tank looks like with brown play sand:
View attachment 112387
I would also suggest getting more neon tetras, and Cory cats. They need to be in groups of 6 or more. (Preferably more.)
Wow, looks awesome! I’ll definitely look into getting some more, I had nitrite issues a couple of months ago so I lost a couple of neons

Black sand does mange it harder to clean. (As you can’t see poop)

Thats something to consider as well...
My fish poop pink so it won’t blend in with anything lol, it’s so hard to find food without a ton of dye

My fish poop pink so it won’t blend in with anything lol, it’s so hard to find food without a ton of dye
What brand do you have now?

Omega One Tropical Flakes are the way to go for most fish IMO. NLS (New Life Spectrum) is another great choice.

What brand do you have now?

Omega One Tropical Flakes are the way to go for most fish IMO. NLS (New Life Spectrum) is another great choice.
I’m using tetramin flakes and I have some aqueon granules, it’s really hard to find food because the ones without due are more expensive for some reason, but I’ll look into those

I’m using tetramin flakes and I have some aqueon granules, it’s really hard to find food because the ones without due are more expensive for some reason, but I’ll look into those
Tetramin food is full of fats and additives. The good food is definitely more expensive, but it is way better for your fish. I think Omega One is best brand for you, because it’s relatively cheap.

It simply doesn’t make them pop as much as black sand would. (To our eyes)

It doesn’t physically affect the fish.

View attachment 112387
Would more Kuhli loaches be a good idea? I don’t want to overstock, but I know that they’re also schooling fish and I only have two

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back