Black or natural sand?

Crayfish do tend to eat snails, and while nerites stand a better chance than most, I wouldn't keep them together personally. Also, lobsters are saltwater, if it's in freshwater it is a crayfish.
Ah.. well that ruins his name.. I called him Simon LoBon ( get it??) I'll leave Nismo ( the snail) in with my platy babies.

Iron sand (aka black sand) is mainly composed of magnetite is a dark black sand occurring on many beaches around the world (I don't know if it occurs in any freshwater systems but there may be overlap)(is very similar if not @seangee 's sand).
The one you see in most of my pics is black Limpopo sand. I have no idea whether it is actually sourced from the Limpopo river (Southern Africa - think Victoria falls) but I suppose it might be. Its not black at all but shades of grey

Iron sand (aka black sand) is mainly composed of magnetite is a dark black sand occurring on many beaches around the world (I don't know if it occurs in any freshwater systems but there may be overlap)(is very similar if not @seangee 's sand).

I agree with your statement here, yet a couple of posts back you said

you then reply to my message in less general terms specifically about corydoras yet this is a very broad statement. Without going into detail about corydoras or similar bottom dwellers what is your basis for this? Define what you mean by black sand because I have a feeling our ideas of it are quite different.

Black sand is sand that is black, referring simply to the colour. You can buy aquarium sands in various colours including black.

The topic of sand comes up frequently on Corydoras World, and during one such discussion Ian did set out that pure black sand (meaning the colour) was not good for Corydoradinae species. It is well know that white sand causes stress to fish, and they pale in an effort to blend in better, though I gather it goes farther than that with the fish. The "blackening" of cories when placed over a black substrate is a similar response by the fish to an adverse situation. Ian maintains it is detrimental long-term, something I can certainly appreciate.

Black sand is sand that is black, referring simply to the colour. You can buy aquarium sands in various colours including black.

The topic of sand comes up frequently on Corydoras World, and during one such discussion Ian did set out that pure black sand (meaning the colour) was not good for Corydoradinae species. It is well know that white sand causes stress to fish, and they pale in an effort to blend in better, though I gather it goes farther than that with the fish. The "blackening" of cories when placed over a black substrate is a similar response by the fish to an adverse situation. Ian maintains it is detrimental long-term, something I can certainly appreciate.

Thank you for clarifying, I think we can just call this a mistake in your wording.

Most reactions

Back