Black Algae?

FishHobbyist1564

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
391
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, I always encounter algae in my tanks that grow and are very hard to scrape off/ get rid of. I never know what it is, how it gets there, and how i can get rid of it... It isn't green, and it almost looks fuzzy and hairy and dark.

If anyone knows what I can do about it, and how i can avoid it, that would be wonderful!
 
it sounds like black beard or brush algae and is a real pain to get rid of. Some shrimp will pick it up and overdosing with some plant fertilisers and it can knock it about. But you have to be careful because excess fertiliser cna affect the fish.
AaronNorth (on this forum) has a link to algae at the bottom of his signature. It's worth a read.
 
oh ok thanks! At least I know what types of algae it may possibly be lol, that will help me try to find more about it :)
 
I'm trying to clean lots of the plants off, it is so hard to pick off lol!
I'm still trying to find out an easier way to get rid of this, or avoid having it grow in my tanks... this type of algae is so annoying, and i dont think plecos or any catfish graze on this type of algae
 
It’s a bit pointless trying to pick it off. The stuff just doesn't come off the plants very easily and you usually damage the plant leaves. That's why people use shrimp, they have little claws that are ideal for picking at the algae. Unfortunately most catfish won't touch the stuff.
Once it is in a tank it is generally there forever, or at least until you manage to kill it off. The stuff releases spores that germinate a week or so after they are released. So even if you get it all off the plants, it will usually pop up again a couple of weeks later.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top