Birdie Hotel... Customers Are Demanding!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ill leave the shooting birds to the camera-most of the birds anyway (geese/ducks/pheasant=dinner).

no idea how to use the translator. sorry. nice assortment of birdies youve got going there.
cheers

Put it in the Google translater, it didnt like it one bit and couldnt come up with anything duh!

I also had a look at 'images' but most all bee catchers seem very brightly coloured, I did find one black one but that name was in Africaans as well :p

What colour is it Lud?

Seffie x

Put it in the Google translater, it didnt like it one bit and couldnt come up with anything duh!

I also had a look at 'images' but most all bee catchers seem very brightly coloured, I did find one black one but that name was in Africaans as well :p

What colour is it Lud?

Seffie x

This is the one I'm talking about Seff.... the colour is....(Afrikaans: "Swart").... (English: "Black")... I'll Google again & see if I can get the English for the species...
Birdhotel012.jpg

Try this link...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/data/523/Mikstert-Byevanger.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/photopost/showphoto.php%3Fphoto%3D227096&usg=__jrOv4L3Wpsj4bn7TUe0XJEwrFIg=&h=800&w=600&sz=248&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=aEncKjmTLbmhSM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbyevanger%2Bbird%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enZA331ZA334%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D523%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=817&vpy=201&dur=5500&hovh=193&hovw=144&tx=102&ty=220&ei=2tJvTOyJIsKMONDskYwL&oei=2tJvTOyJIsKMONDskYwL&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0

Are you sure its a bee catcher, it doesnt seem to have the right shaped beak from the photos I am looking at? Also the black bee catcher has a patch of red under its throat

Ah, hang on, i see part of the name means bee catcher lol :blush:

Thats a nice link but grrrr doesnt tell us the name of the bird in Latin or English

Seffie x

What stunning pictures Ludwig !!! I work for the RSPB in the UK and can assure you that although the effort and expense on your part is immense, the difference that you are making to these beautiful birds lives is even greater. I live just outside London in the UK and currently get through about £9 worth of bird food every couple of days. But knowing that the survival rate of many of the birds that visit my garden would be quite dramatically reduced makes the effort worthwhile. Keep up the good work.
good.gif
good.gif

I get a red kite land in my garden every so often, doesn't stay still long enough to get a picce, so i googled;

vidbig.jpg

image from the UK red kite's association

They are canny things, one tried taking my son out,when he was 5 months old :crazy: it swooped down, about 4" from my son's head, whilst i chased it with a broom :crazy: we have a family of 8 around here, possibly more now.

Looks very much like this chappie which I've been trying for 3 days to capture on camers..... It is an Eagle of sorts & I bet he is not here for the seeds I put out..... I'll try get his name from Google.

Birdiehotel009-1.jpg

Birdiehotel010.jpg

This is also one that was under the tree this afternoon.... I'll have to Google him as well to get the name
Birdiehotel018.jpg

This is the ordinary Turtle dove which I saw near my gates this afternoon.
Birdiehotel019.jpg

I love your photos, also jealous that you are living in an amazing place with all that wildlife :hyper:

Red Kites were on the extinct list in the UK, until around 1998, when a breeding program was formed. They are growing slowly, bringing back a far amount of population and beautiful to watch :good:

Well... this little guy has also realised that the Birdie Hotel can also be to his benefit.....

Birdiehotel004.jpg

When confronted,.... He just acts innocent, but I know why he sticks around!!!

Birdiehotel007-1.jpg

Oh that last photo must have a potm nomination :good: Its Snolla (sp?) right?

Seffie x

Yes! That's Snolla Seff..... I don't think he'll know what to do with the bird if catches it... he does not eat meat at all....

My book on SA birds says this is an African Swamp Eagle.....
Birdiehotel009-1.jpg

This one is an Olive Thrush....
Birdiehotel018.jpg

I hope you can make out what they look like from these photos as they will not allow me any closer before they take off.

They are Crowned Plovers... very noisy (and a good watchdog to have in your garden)

Birdiehotel011-1.jpg

Birdiehotel013.jpg

That eagle and them crowned plovers are just gorgeous! And i will second that nomination!

Alessa x.

Most reactions

trending

Back