Biorb filtersā€¦

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all I know Biorbs are a very controversial choice but if I could get some advice on the following things that would be great!

First of all, filtersā€¦
Biorb recommends changing the entire filter disc every 4 weeks. Instead, I am thinking of buying a new filter every few weeks but instead of swapping out the whole thing, simply giving the original sponge a rinse in the aquarium water and placing it into the new filter which will contain new charcoal etc.

Secondly the ceramic mediaā€¦
Iā€™ve noticed that a fair bit of food sinks to the bottom and gets trapped under the media. I am thinking of vacuuming in and around the rocks once a week in order to clean out some of the food and waste that gets trapped. Then once a month remove all the ceramic media and wash it in aquarium water while at the same time giving the bottom of the tank a really good vacuum?

If anyone can provide any better/additional advice without a lecture on tank choice it would be massively appreciated. I am looking at purchasing a 120litre so do not need convincing :)

thanks!

As for the filter I am not sure what would be the best option, but definitely do vacuum the gravel weekly, just include it in when you do your water change that is what I usually do and all goes well. A monthly extra vacuum probably is not even necessary in my experience, your better off just doing a decent vacuum once per week :)

So should I remove all the media once a week and vacuum everything or just vacuum in and around the rocks? Thanks for the advice :)

So should I remove all the media once a week and vacuum everything or just vacuum in and around the rocks? Thanks for the advice :)
I would just vacuum around the rocks and maybe once every few weeks remove the media. Hope it goes well!

You do not need the charcoal and zeolite once the tank is cycled and established so you can just rinse and reuse the same sponge. No need to buy more. A large gravel vac will remove the worst of the debris weekly, I wouldn't remove the media as this will be disruptive for the fish and, over time, will scratch the acrylic tank.

You do not need the charcoal and zeolite once the tank is cycled and established so you can just rinse and reuse the same sponge. No need to buy more. A large gravel vac will remove the worst of the debris weekly, I wouldn't remove the media as this will be disruptive for the fish and, over time, will scratch the acrylic tank.
So simply ditch the contents (charcoal and zeolite) of the original filter and give the sponge filter a rinse forever? And then just vacuum in between the rocks will be enough to keep things clean?

YepšŸ‘
Remember not to over feed nor livestock and it runs well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back