Bio Spira

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I just want to know if this stuff really works, unlike other products out there that claim they do? I also want to know if people have used it and what the results were? I have read only good things about this product, but I just want to know from people who have actually used it.
Thanks

Bio spria is very good, it is live bacteria and comes in a silver foil type packet and is kept refridgerated. I imported some to the UK 2 and 1/2 years ago to set up my tank. It requires that you add a full bioload at the same time (this can be substituted with ammonia from fishless cycling). You get a very small mini cycle, ammonia does not get high at all, either does Nitrite and you get nitrates very very quickly.

Have read your thread in disasters. I think this may be your best bet.

Any product not stored in a refridgerator will not have live bacteria, this does.

Yes, I've heard some good things about BioSpira too. I'm surprised that more people don't use it. Like TigerIssey said, it's the real thing and must be kept refrigerated. Most chain stores won't carry it so you will probably have to make a few phone calls and find an independently owned lfs.

I think that I would give it a try if I was going to start out anew. :D

bio spira

I think I got you mixed up with someone else, was looking for their post to answer, dont worry.

Link above is an american site, you may need to order off internet, comes packaged with a cold pack on overnight service, use as soon as you get it.

EDIT
Having just thoroughly gone over this link, it seems tetra bought out marineland in late 2006. The product they are offering is no longer refridgerated. I don't actually believe the tetra safestart works in the same way as the original refridgerated product did. They still make the refridgerated marine version. Perhaps this is why there are now alot of people who say it does not work. I have yet to meet or speak to anyone that actually believes this new tetra product works. I do know of someone on another forum that conducted an experiment and to be fair it came in at a longer cycling time than normal fishless cycling and the ammonia and nitrite levels went way higher than she was happy with. This is a great shame to freshwater fish keepers in America as the original product was very good and was being used by public aquariums.

The refridgerated marine product is still available.

Oh wow, there are two threads going on the same subject. That's OK though. :D

Yeah a LFS near me carries this product...I think I might have to pick it up.
Thanks for all the input!

For a long time, there were two refridgerated products discussed here. One was Biospira and I can't remember what the other was but I don't think it was any of those mentioned in this thread.

Both these products needed the refridgeration and were subject to the storage and transportation problems one might expect. There were a smaller number of customers who lucked into having responsible retailers who truly kept the product appropriately cold and who had distributors who truly did so in their transportation. There were more people who suspected that their failures were due to refridgerated trucks having not been used or distributors having a stage where it sat on a loading dock unrefridgerated or in a hot warehouse for a while.

But people did consistently give positive reports to these two cold products. My take from reading tons of these threads was that the excitement came from the reports being raised to about a 50-50 chance of some success as opposed to the usual 90%-failure/10%-partial-success type of reports coming from some of the non-refridg. based products.

I think the continuing hopefulness and attempts by scientists like Hovanec mean it still may be done out there some day and I personally hold out some hope, but I think its still pretty much a shot in the dark as to whether it might boost your fishless cycle in the current retailing climate. My answer about your question of biospira specifically though is that its one of two that has indeed had some higher success reports continuing over time on this forum, again, raising your chances from maybe 10% to maybe 50% I'd guess.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi waterdrop :)

I remember that there was some speculation that the product failures were due to carelessness before the customer bought it. That was quite a while ago and I don't recall hearing anything recently. BioSpira was the first of its kind on the market and a lot of people were skeptical that it would work at all.

The important thing is to buy it from a reputable lfs and then follow the directions exactly. And please don't forget to start a thread about your experience with it. :D

I will share some information with you that I researched for another forum.

I have found out that the freshwater biospira previously marketed by Marineland has been discontinued since late 2006 when the company was bought out and merged with Tetra. The Marine refridgerated biospira is still available.

I have looked briefly at the patent information for this product which is using the same patent as Bio spira did.

Tetra Safestart Patent Information

The bacteria selection seems sound, however looking over the documents, they do not claim the actual product is live. They are using freeze dried organisms, which is fair enough, however when using freeze dried there will be a much longer period for the bacteria to re-establish themselves than if the bacteria were actually live. One thing concerning me here is that usually with freeze drying you reconstitute the bacteria in water or saline as you use the bacteria and the tetra product is already in liquid form, this concerns me with regard to the shelf life of the product. The documentaion does not seem to go into this part of the product. They use a denaturing process for the freezedrying which is similar to that used in vaccine production.
They claim that ammonia should not go above 3ppm in an aquarium setting and claim to reduce ammonia build up by 30%. In my opinion compared to the results I got with the original bio spira and when using Soll Bactinettes, these figures leave a lot to be desired. 3ppm is way to high in my opinion for ammonia to get to if you have fish in the aquarium.

The lady on another forum ran an experiment using a bank of 40l tanks, One fishless cycle, one seeded from mature tank, one with fish and normal planting, one silent cycled, one with tetra safestart and one with Nutrafin cycle. The fastest was the seeded tank, then fishless cycle (ammonia or fish food made no difference), Then silent cycle, Then one with fish and plants (this was control) The safestart tank ran ok for two weeks then ammonia raised and extra water changes needed, the nitrite spike was as seen without safestart and the cycle tank gave similar results. All tanks had a sand substrate and ran the same internal filter.

When I used bio-spira, there was no high nitrite spike, which the tetra product does seem to get. Nitrite is harmful to fish and the time taken for this part of the cycle is often the longest part. Due to there not being much in the way of nitrifying bacteria in the safestart and the ammonia concentration not reaching its regular high levels as it would if fishless cycling, I am guessing that this part of the process takes longer than it normally would. The one benefit I can glean from this is that your ammonia does not get to such a high concentration as to start killing off the ammonia processing bacteria you have established.

I can only conclude from this, that I would still opt for a refridgerated product if wanting to use a "live bacteria" and I would be very concerned about the claims that you can introduce fish at the same time as dosing the tank with Safestart.

I hope this gives you more information to help you make your decision, I do believe many aquarium company products are a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere in the hobby. I would now only use the Soll bactinettes, the choice is yours.

Thanks for posting that helpful information, TigerIssey. It's too bad you can't get the regular Bio-Spira any more. That explains why there isn't much mention of it lately.

I don't think Soll bactinettes are available in the US. :/

Have you read my edit in the psot above??
Yeah I have...but the bio spira my LFS sells in the original refrigerated one. And that is the one you want right? Or unless it has been sitting there since 2006...? I will have to check the date it was made? Is there a shelf live for this product...and if so...do you think it is longer than 3 years?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back