Bigger tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jesse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay, question time. I am saving my money and getting a larger tank this summer. Right now I have a 10 gal. (US) with 3 pristella tetras, a three-spot gourami, and a fairly small red-tail shark. I am going to get a 33 gal considering i dont have the space for a larger one. I was just wondering if it would be okay if I put african cichlids in there? I am not sure what kind of african cichlids, that is all it said on the tank at my lfs. I guess I could go ask the guy. But for reference there were to colors - one kind was straight red and the other was straight orange. -_-

33 gallon seems a bit samll for cichlids, maybe when they are babies but they will outgrow their environment. have you considered a 45-60 hex? they take up alot less room.

I don't exactly have enough money to take care of a large tank. :no:

There are some smaller cichlids that I believe would work in a 33 gallon tank. While not the best option, I do think it could work. Firemouths will stay rather small, and convicts don't grow to big usually although there are exceptions. A handful of these types in a 33 gallon should work fine for you.

I dont know about Firemouths but if u get malawis (african cichlids), then a hex tank is no good because each fish requires its own patch of floor space. And usually they only go as high as the top of the rocks.

33 gals might do for a couple of males + females.

No one has answered my main question, though - will they get along with my red-tail shark? -_-

Aww crud! :S I feel a little stupid now. Anyway, so will they be okay?

Well going by the general description you gave of "one was straight red and the other straight orange",
I would have to say those are Mbuna of some sort.

Mbuna in a 33 gallon tank would end up beating the he*l out of the RT shark!!

A little better description of the fish in question such as their common name or better yet scientific name would help greatly!!

CM

Jesse said:
I am not sure what kind of african cichlids, that is all it said on the tank at my lfs
I cant really tell you -_- I suppose I could go and ask :p or do a lil research.

I think one of them kinda looked like this. Not exactly sure though.

im with red bled in that firemouths should be fine i feel comfortable putting two in a tank that size. and convics should be ok also.

Ok are you keeping all the other fish in a 10 gallon. I hope so since your cichlids will tear everything up. I would consider maybe a few dwarf cichlids, Most africans will not work in a 33 gallon. You might get away with a red empress or such but I cant really recommend it. The yellow labs are way too aggressive. really I havent been able to keep them at all no matter what they always kill each other or pick on someone else only to lose thier life in a fight to the death. I would say a pair of firemouths might be ok. as long as your sure 1 female and 1 male. Again this would be pushing it. I think sticking a red tail shark in with those fish your asking for trouble. As for the hex you really cant keep as many fish in a hex since the floor space is much smaller.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back