Big problems in Rio land

Can you post a picture of the whole tank without the lids, etc, so we can see any frame work on the top?

20220422_200816.jpg
20220422_201008.jpg
20220422_201155.jpg
20220422_201148.jpg
20220422_200937.jpg
20220422_200932.jpg
20220422_200904.jpg
20220422_200900.jpg

Looks to me that the front side of braces never had glue on them. I can see glue on the back sides

Right Guy's and Girls, what option would you go for if any?

Shops responce:
My manager has spoken to juwel regarding the movement of the bars. Juwel are happy that the tank wont bow out any further than it has as the main support is via the frame which will stay intact as of the molding and that its only the bottom part that’s come unglued.

We do understand your concern which we have highlighted to Juwel so they have agreed if required that they would replace the bare shell of the tank. we did ask if these could be glued back on which they said in most cases you could but the tank would need to be drained then siliconed back in place and allowed to dry.

Being very honest we sell a lot of Juwel tanks and being it is very rare to have an issue. However we do have a number of options.

1) As per Juwel we can sit and watch to see if it gets any worst but going on what they have stated it should be fine.

2) We can send you some silicone Free Of Charge but this would mean you draining the tank and then allowing 24 hours to dry.

3) We can replace the bare tank but again this would mean emptying your tank and housing the fish etc and then having to get the tank back to us to exchange.
1) If they're wrong you could end up with a broken tank emptying n the floor. Nightmare.
2) Pain in the rear. Where are you going to safely keep the (largish and numerous?) fish for 24+hours?
3) The option I would go for BUT why do they need your tank before they give you the new one? Do they not trust you! Tell them you need the replacement tank first and you will return the defective one the next day. You have already been inconvenienced enough.

1) If they're wrong you could end up with a broken tank emptying n the floor. Nightmare.
2) Pain in the rear. Where are you going to safely keep the (largish and numerous?) fish for 24+hours?
3) The option I would go for BUT why do they need your tank before they give you the new one? Do they not trust you! Tell them you need the replacement tank first and you will return the defective one the next day. You have already been inconvenienced enough.
I agree. The OP has the upper hand here. They should do all they can to fulfil their costomers concerns.

I would have them replace it

Otherwise you are always going to have doubts about the security & safety of that front glass and never feel 100% comfortable with any repair....if it has given out once, it could easily go again only worse next time

It is a build quality issue...or as I like to say "its a Friday night job just before clocking off for the weekend"

Personally I would never feel comfortable knowing a fault existed and was just stuck back together....it would be a case of "is it going or gone again" every time I lifted the lid

Maybe I am very old fashioned but when paying alot of money for something I actually expect it to last several years and to be built in the best way possible.

Why change from the tried and tested glass strut bracing that has been in use for decades to a cheap looking plastic rim combi strut brace?

Fine...use that method on aquariums up to 120 litres but never on aquariums bigger than that. Plastic flexes and becomes brittle over time. By anybody's standards this is not a small aquarium yet it has frankly inferior design for its bracing.

The shift towards a throwaway society has gone too far in too many everyday objects and now we are getting a similar mindset in aquariums and it is fundamentally wrong imho.

These big aquariums create a massive amount of pressure on the glass, silicone and brace struts....you want the strongest possible design. Plastic might be lightweight and cheap to produce compared to glass strut bracing but in longevity of life you cannot beat the old school glass strut bracing and when you have an aquarium of this size you need every ounce of strength that you can get to keep it reinforced, safe and secure for years to come.

Warranties of two years are frankly not worth the paper that they are written on since every firm words them with so much wiggle room that they can move the goalposts far and wide to escape paying out a warranty claim.

One of my biggest pet hates is a firm who shaft their customers. It pee's me off no end cos there is absolutely no need for it. I just will not stand for it. Consumer rights is a vital part of life that is often overlooked or shied away from cos firms can be so intimidating and so hard to communicate with and that is what they depend on doing, to intimidate and to scare people away from taking an issue like this further, even to the court process.

People need to start telling firms "NO!! I am NOT accepting this!"

You pay out a massive amount of money in fishkeeping, especially on the larger aquariums like this one and you have EVERY RIGHT to expect the very best and EVERY RIGHT to expect longevity of use without design fault, build quality fault. This design using plastic combi rim/strut bracing is NOT fit for purpose on aquariums this big and the firms MUST take notice and they MUST redesign the aquarium, even if that means changing back to the old school glass strut bracing.

At the end of the day if this strut bracing does fail completely...which it will....the aquarium will empty all over the room and the owner will have to make a warranty claim (if under 2 years old) and they will have to make a home contents insurance claim. The firm will wiggle and try to blame the customer cos that is what they pay their legal staff to do, to move the goalposts as often as necessary to evade paying out. The insurance company will argue that it was the customers fault, if you mention design fault they will back away even more from honouring the claim and then they put your annual premium up thus adding insult to injury.

Consumers have got to get into the habit of standing up against firms like this and saying "NO!!! this is NOT right, I am NOT accepting this!"

I need to discuss option 3 more with the store monday.

Firstly to see how quickly the exchange can be done.

Then how the exchange can be done.

I dont see why i have to break my tank down, somehow get a 5ft tank in my car and drive 3 hours down south to deliver it them for exchange.

Only other way would be to get a del company to do it which means im out of pocket.

They should deliver me the new tank then take the faulty on away surely.

Another issue is the store is closed on weekends what makes the exchange awkard.

I need to discuss option 3 more with the store monday.

Firstly to see how quickly the exchange can be done.

Then how the exchange can be done.

I dont see why i have to break my tank down, somehow get a 5ft tank in my car and drive 3 hours down south to deliver it them for exchange.

Only other way would be to get a del company to do it which means im out of pocket.

They should deliver me the new tank then take the faulty on away surely.

Another issue is the store is closed on weekends what makes the exchange awkard.
What will you do with the fish during that time? 😳

Maybe I am very old fashioned but when paying alot of money for something I actually expect it to last several years and to be built in the best way possible.

Why change from the tried and tested glass strut bracing that has been in use for decades to a cheap looking plastic rim combi strut brace?

Fine...use that method on aquariums up to 120 litres but never on aquariums bigger than that. Plastic flexes and becomes brittle over time. By anybody's standards this is not a small aquarium yet it has frankly inferior design for its bracing.

The shift towards a throwaway society has gone too far in too many everyday objects and now we are getting a similar mindset in aquariums and it is fundamentally wrong imho.

These big aquariums create a massive amount of pressure on the glass, silicone and brace struts....you want the strongest possible design. Plastic might be lightweight and cheap to produce compared to glass strut bracing but in longevity of life you cannot beat the old school glass strut bracing and when you have an aquarium of this size you need every ounce of strength that you can get to keep it reinforced, safe and secure for years to come.

Warranties of two years are frankly not worth the paper that they are written on since every firm words them with so much wiggle room that they can move the goalposts far and wide to escape paying out a warranty claim.

One of my biggest pet hates is a firm who shaft their customers. It pee's me off no end cos there is absolutely no need for it. I just will not stand for it. Consumer rights is a vital part of life that is often overlooked or shied away from cos firms can be so intimidating and so hard to communicate with and that is what they depend on doing, to intimidate and to scare people away from taking an issue like this further, even to the court process.

People need to start telling firms "NO!! I am NOT accepting this!"

You pay out a massive amount of money in fishkeeping, especially on the larger aquariums like this one and you have EVERY RIGHT to expect the very best and EVERY RIGHT to expect longevity of use without design fault, build quality fault. This design using plastic combi rim/strut bracing is NOT fit for purpose on aquariums this big and the firms MUST take notice and they MUST redesign the aquarium, even if that means changing back to the old school glass strut bracing.

At the end of the day if this strut bracing does fail completely...which it will....the aquarium will empty all over the room and the owner will have to make a warranty claim (if under 2 years old) and they will have to make a home contents insurance claim. The firm will wiggle and try to blame the customer cos that is what they pay their legal staff to do, to move the goalposts as often as necessary to evade paying out. The insurance company will argue that it was the customers fault, if you mention design fault they will back away even more from honouring the claim and then they put your annual premium up thus adding insult to injury.

Consumers have got to get into the habit of standing up against firms like this and saying "NO!!! this is NOT right, I am NOT accepting this!"
My 150 gallon that I have built. I have 6mm glass struts 150mm wide plus 150 mm cross braces, to keep this tank sound.
20220423_191100.jpg
20220423_191119.jpg

Play a bit of hardball

Tell them straight that your car is not large enough to carry the aquarium and that they need to bring the replacement and collect the damaged one.

If they quibble, just remind them that they have to deliver the new one anyway so it doesn't cost them any more in fuel costs etc to collect the damaged one at the same time.

YOU are their customer, they are sposed to be helping YOU....not the other way around. That aquarium has inconvenienced you so if they are feeling a bit inconvenienced by having to haul a new one up to your address and remove the damaged one...TOUGH!

Why the heck should you have to play taxi for them....

You want a new aquarium delivered, they can collect the old one....or see you in Small Claims Court. (You might want to have a word with CAB too as they can and do get involved with consumer rights issues and will act as mediator to prevent your stress levels going sky high and they can represent you and fill in SCC forms etc)

My 150 gallon that I have built. I have 6mm glass struts 150mm wide plus 150 mm cross braces, to keep this tank sound.
View attachment 158478View attachment 158479
My considerably smaller 53 gallon has glass strut bracing too

Tbh I find the plastic Roma strut bracing ugly, it is a very poor design anyway without it coming away from the sides...it blocks the view into the aquarium, its obstructive. Using glass does a much better job both strength wise and aesthetically.

What will you do with the fish during that time? 😳
Thinking of putting them in this during the change over.
Screenshot_20220422-200548_Facebook.jpg

Fish are too big for any plastic tubs i have and ill hook my cainsters up to keep them ticking over also.

Most reactions

Back