Big problems in Rio land

๐Ÿ  May TOTM Voting is Live! ๐Ÿ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
๐Ÿ† Click here to Vote! ๐Ÿ†

The tank was delivered in January 2014 and it is still going strong. The cabinet they supplied is also doing well; the trim round the bottom of the cabinet has come loose at one corner, probably due to me hitting it with the vacuum cleaner on more than one occasion :blush:. I don't think they are meant to withstand that treatment.

You could try siliconing the brace back on yourself. Use a glass silicon for aquariums and make sure the area is dry, then glue it up. Let it dry for a week and fill it up.
Might have to do that Colin if Juwel play up. Should know more today from them.

Now this is just my opinion so take it or leave it...but if the manufacturer does blow you off on this I would empty the aquarium as much as possible.

Then go to a glazier and have two lengthwise strips of 10mm thick glass that are at least 80% the full length of the aquarium and at least 15cm wide plus two strips of the same glass that are the front to back measurement exactly of the aquarium. Buy a couple of tubes or aquarium silicone.

Cut those plastic braces right off.

Stick one lengthwise glass brace to the front, one to the back, then using the shorter lengths of glass stick those to the longer braces across the aquarium. Make sure that all bracings are no more than 5cm from the rim.

By doing that you strengthen the front and back panels to stop them bowing and pull them in to assist the sides in holding everything square.

Afterall larger aquariums tend to have the glass bracing anyway, so why not just replace that plastic with glass, it won't bend, flex or pull away. Granted if you go the glass brace route it will screw the warranty but since they are finding every excuse not to honour it, you might as well bin the warranty as not fit for purpose.

Alternatively go to the Small Claims Court using the Sale of Goods Act...BUT...you cannot go that method against the manufacturer, you can only go after the retailer. To go for the manufacturer route you can still make a Small Claims Court claim using the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as long as the warranty is still live and they have refused to help with a faulty item.

Now this is just my opinion so take it or leave it...but if the manufacturer does blow you off on this I would empty the aquarium as much as possible.

Then go to a glazier and have two lengthwise strips of 10mm thick glass that are at least 80% the full length of the aquarium and at least 15cm wide plus two strips of the same glass that are the front to back measurement exactly of the aquarium. Buy a couple of tubes or aquarium silicone.

Cut those plastic braces right off.

Stick one lengthwise glass brace to the front, one to the back, then using the shorter lengths of glass stick those to the longer braces across the aquarium. Make sure that all bracings are no more than 5cm from the rim.

By doing that you strengthen the front and back panels to stop them bowing and pull them in to assist the sides in holding everything square.

Afterall larger aquariums tend to have the glass bracing anyway, so why not just replace that plastic with glass, it won't bend, flex or pull away. Granted if you go the glass brace route it will screw the warranty but since they are finding every excuse not to honour it, you might as well bin the warranty as not fit for purpose.

Alternatively go to the Small Claims Court using the Sale of Goods Act...BUT...you cannot go that method against the manufacturer, you can only go after the retailer. To go for the manufacturer route you can still make a Small Claims Court claim using the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as long as the warranty is still live and they have refused to help with a faulty item.
Thank you, appreciate your advice.

Im hoping Juwel have a better answer for me after my second polite but firm responce.

Thank you, appreciate your advice.

Im hoping Juwel have a better answer for me after my second polite but firm responce.
If you threaten to sue and word it to the effect that the warranty is not worth the paper that it is written on and that the design is inappropriate or insufficient for the aquarium dimensions, that will probably be enough of a firework to get them to back down and sort it for you.

Afterall, you followed the capacity max instructions, you are not a newby at using this size of aquarium etc...they are playing it that in their assumption you do not know what you are doing, did not follow instructions etc

By telling them in no uncertain but polite terms that you will take the matter to Small Claims Court under the Consumer Act of 2015, they should back down

Unfortunately big companies go on the assumption that the customer failed to treat the item correctly and will do their utmost to fail your warranty claim. Their warranty legal eagles always try to belittle the consumer and make the consumer look inept, that is what they are paid to do.

Do NOT take no for an answer, threaten in writing chapter and verse that you will take them to court for the maximum of ยฃ5000. Stand your ground, do not back off even if they give an apology and partial refund. No. Make them realise that you are not messing about, you do know what you are doing and that you will take them for the maximum if they continue to push you back.

(I have taken Goodyear tyres to court before and won....big companies think they are immune and untouchable...they are not, believe me, you can grab them by the goolies and take them on and win)

Thank you that could well come in handy.

I hoping it wont have to turn nasty but they will get the riot act if their next responce is not to my liking.

Ill let you know what they say once ive received a reply

I have now got a problem of Retailer v Manufacturer!

Long story short...i recieved a number to call Juwel direct and spoke to them about the issues. They are still adamant even tho the brace bars have come away from the glass that the tanks absolutely fine structurally and is fine to use at full capacity!!!! Wow just WOW!!

They are saying its my retailer who have got to sort the problem out and not them.

So im now waiting for a call back from the retailer who will put blame back on Juwel then im back at square one. Nightmare

What are warranties for!!!๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿคฌ

I have now got a problem of Retailer v Manufacturer!

Long story short...i recieved a number to call Juwel direct and spoke to them about the issues. They are still adamant even tho the brace bars have come away from the glass that the tanks absolutely fine structurally and is fine to use at full capacity!!!! Wow just WOW!!

They are saying its my retailer who have got to sort the problem out and not them.

So im now waiting for a call back from the retailer who will put blame back on Juwel then im back at square one. Nightmare

Thats horrible! Man I wish I ccould help but I seriously can't...

If the tank is still under warranty I think it's the shop's responsibility.

It get's a bit complicated with the seller presumably being in the UK while the manufacturer is German.

Always a scapegoat, getting a company to honor warranty work is a rarity these days. I'd blast them on any and all social media and call whatever your local consumer protection agency is over there in the UK.

>not a structural component
>holds the tank shape

I'm not an engineer, but this is a glaring contradiction and anyone with iq higher than average tank temperature would understand that. They're just playing dumb hoping you give up and go away.

Give them hell.

Always a scapegoat, getting a company to honor warranty work is a rarity these days. I'd blast them on any and all social media and call whatever your local consumer protection agency is over there in the UK.

>not a structural component
>holds the tank shape

I'm not an engineer, but this is a glaring contradiction and anyone with iq higher than average tank temperature would understand that. They're just playing dumb hoping you give up and go away.

Give them hell.
This is why im infuriated with Juwel. Your spot on, Its a glaring contradiction by them and even putting it across to them many times that how can this issue not be a structural problem they just come back with dribble. This is Juwel! One of the biggest manufacturers in the hobby. Just shocking!

Do what some woman did to her phone company and walk over to their place with a hammer and start sayin how you need your phone line fixed cause they keep making excuses... Then if they need to call someone smash their phone with the hammer and say you need it done that day or else ๐Ÿ˜…... (Seriously an elderly woman actually did that)

If the tank is still under warranty I think it's the shop's responsibility.

It get's a bit complicated with the seller presumably being in the UK while the manufacturer is German.
Yes Essjay weve looked into this and still awaiting a responce from the retailer.

I have to say i have dealt with the shop many times in the past and ive never had any issues so im hoping that carries on.

Im expecting them to say because Juwel say its not an issue they dont have to honor the warranty tho but we shall see

Most reactions

Back