Better fish food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

BoomerXIV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

So my TetraMin is almost run out and im planning to try some other brands. The problem is most of recommended brands like omega one, or xtreme, etc2 are not available in my country.
After searching for some time, i finally found several options: TetraRubin, TetraTropical, and TetraPro colour. I know it is the same brand, but I can only found these in my country marketplace. So which one should I try to use? My fish is black neon tetra and a betta.

P. S : hikari is quite common too in my country, so you could give me some hikari recommendation too

The ā€œTetraā€ brand of food is not very good... as far as good for your fish and good quality. It has a lot of ingredients that are bad for your fish.

If the only two options are Tetra and Hikari, I would go with Hikari. The Hikari ā€œBetta Bio-Goldā€ is decent, and is probably the best you could find where you live.

Itā€™s a bummer that you canā€™t find Omega One or NLS, because those are some of the best foods on the market.

The Tetra ā€œPro Colorā€ is probably the best for your neons. Like I said, youā€™re making lemonade out of lemons.

You may also want to look into raising our own live food, to give your fish something different.

The ā€œTetraā€ brand of food is not very good... as far as good for your fish and good quality. It has a lot of ingredients that are bad for your fish.

If the only two options are Tetra and Hikari, I would go with Hikari. The Hikari ā€œBetta Bio-Goldā€ is decent, and is probably the best you could find where you live.

Itā€™s a bummer that you canā€™t find Omega One or NLS, because those are some of the best foods on the market.

The Tetra ā€œPro Colorā€ is probably the best for your neons. Like I said, youā€™re making lemonade out of lemons.

You may also want to look into raising our own live food, to give your fish something different.
Yep it really unfortunate, there's many other brands though, but most of them doesn't have reputation like hikari and tetra, and I really want to give my fish the best food I could afford. As for live food at least every once a week i'd go buy live food and usually it'll last 2 to 3 days. And beside live food and pellet I occasionally give them frozen food too.

Btw thanks for your advice I'll try the tetra pro colour then! :)

Wait! NLS is New Life Spectrum right?? I found it !!! :D
Yes, thatā€™s it! Congratulations! :clap:

That is a really good food brand, better than Hikari. Try to find the ā€œTropical Flakesā€ and the ā€œBetta pelletsā€. (The name of it wonā€™t be ā€˜Betta Pelletsā€™ but it will have a betta on the bottle)

So glad you found a good brand. :)

Actually Tetramin foods are pretty good as they use whole fish meal. Here's a good read on commercial fish foods...
When I was looking for new food (after using Tetramin after a few years) @Byron said it had bad ingredients or something? And that it wasnā€™t that good of a ā€˜full timeā€™ food.

I could be wrong though...

Just curious, would it be possible to order the food? I know amazon has some fish food and Iā€™ve ordered it from there before when I had angel fish. Or would this be a bad idea?

Just curious, would it be possible to order the food? I know amazon has some fish food and Iā€™ve ordered it from there before when I had angel fish. Or would this be a bad idea?
Ordering food online is the norm now, as itā€™s usually less expensive.

I have ordered Omega One Tropical Flakes and Omega One Shrimp pellets off of Amazon.com before, and I had no problem with it.

When I was looking for new food (after using Tetramin after a few years) @Byron said it had bad ingredients or something? And that it wasnā€™t that good of a ā€˜full timeā€™ food.

I could be wrong though...
Read the article. I think Byron may have based his opinion based on 'fish meal' which historically has typically been low quality (heads, scales, bones). However, like New Life Spectrum, Tetra is using whole fish meal.

I would try to get the New Life Spectrum. Maybe some if the Hikari too, to give your fish some variety. My fish love Hikari pellets. Can you get Bug Bites where you live? Those are really good too.

Actually Tetramin foods are pretty good as they use whole fish meal. Here's a good read on commercial fish foods...
This is so interesting! I noticed some of them only said they have high quality food and avoid saying they use whole fish mealmeal but overall its very informative!
Thank you!

For me it is a bad idea, because the shipping itself cost more than 30usd and it takes 2 weeks to arrive here. But thanks for the input!

I would try to get the New Life Spectrum. Maybe some if the Hikari too, to give your fish some variety. My fish love Hikari pellets. Can you get Bug Bites where you live? Those are really good too.
Unfortunately I cant find bug bites here. But i think i agree with your point, my fish probably love the variety of their foods. So while im very tempted to buy NLS,I think considering the budget I have i'll go with combination of hikari and tetra. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back