Betta's tail quickly frayed? Strange tearing and hole under a week.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That's great news. He will need Tim to settle down again. Keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

NEW UPDATE: Unfortunately, he keeps flaring at the glass which isn't helping his tail. I've been keeping the light off for him, but he even flares when my room light is on. I've been trying to keep my room dark. I think he sees his reflection and thats what is stressing him out? He looks like he's aggressively glass surfing in three areas of the tank that receive light. He also flares at me? :( He's doing it less tho with the update to the tank, but it still worries me. I think the flaring is tearing his tail with the added stress. This is all unusual for him, but I do believe this is from reflection and stress. What do you guys think?

it is most possible. consider putting a load of decor or plants in the tank as this will break the line of sight with the glass and thus he will see his reflection less.

it is most possible. consider putting a load of decor or plants in the tank as this will break the line of sight with the glass and thus he will see his reflection less.
Unfortunately I only have one live plant which is with him at the moment. I plan to get much more, but I' ll have to make due with what I have in the mean time. I have a tall fake plant that is with the guppy tank at the moment. Would it be a good idea to move it in with my betta to block the view of the area he flares most at? I'll be sure to replace it with a live plant soon.

yes that can do just fine for now if that is actually the problem.

yes that can do just fine for now if that is actually the problem.
I'll try it when I do a water change this after noon. I'm cleaning my baby goldfish tank and doing a water change of my other tanks as well.

okay perfect. i will be away for a few hours as i have to pick up some goose that has an eye infection. my brother is a self taught expert on all things bird and he told the people that he can help but hes to young to have a license so....

ps: sorry about the total randomness of this.

okay perfect. i will be away for a few hours as i have to pick up some goose that has an eye infection. my brother is a self taught expert on all things bird and he told the people that he can help but hes to young to have a license so....

ps: sorry about the total randomness of this.
It's alright. I think that's actually pretty awesome! :D I hope that goose gets better and it's very kind of you to help your brother out like that. I have a little brother too, so I understand a bit. I have a license as well, but my brother wouldn't trust me picking up anything of his. Haha!

Haha yeah it seems to be doing alright but it's gonna take time.

Me and my brother help each other out a lot. We help each other fix our cars(he bought himself a classic mini and I happen to know my way around a car pretty well). Build ponds. Scape tanks. I drive him places if needs be. So on and so fourth.

Oh and how is your fish doing.

That's pretty cool! :D My dad used to have a mini as well for a year or two before he sold it to buy a Range Rover. I wish my brother would help me with tanks, but he isn't into fish or tanks. Anyway, Horus, my betta, is doing a bit better once I put in the tall plant. He's been resting himself on it and relaxing on the leaves. At the moment, he is currently swimming around the tall fake plant like it's his new favorite thing.
IMG_4962.jpg

Now you see how important plants are in a Betta tank.

If it was my tank I would get some Blue stricta about 3 or 4 stalks( costs about $5 ) and plant it in the in the back.

This is blue Stricta
Blue-Stricta-1.jpg

I think he sees his reflection and thats what is stressing him out?
A bunch of plants like shown above should calm him down, You also may want to look at Indian almond leaf, the tannins are good for the fish but they do stain the water making it look yellow, this will also help him calm down.

This is the water I am going to put into my tank, its clean and warmed to 80 deg f.
dpfiKMP.jpg

Last edited:
And thus the problem is solved. I'm glad to hear that your fish has calmed down.

Now you see how important plants are in a Betta tank.

If it was my tank I would get some Blue stricta about 3 or 4 stalks( costs about $5 ) and plant it in the in the back.

A bunch of plants like shown above should calm him down, You also may want to look at Indian almond leaf, the tannins are good for the fish but they do stain the water making it look yellow, this will also help him calm down.
Definitely will look into it. :) Thank you.

UPDATE: He is so much worse. I have no idea why he is so stressed. His water is fine and he has plants. I don't know if this is fin rot now... It's affecting his dorsal and his lower fins. He keeps glass surfing aggressively like he used too and I'm super concerned. I've been trying to keep everything calm for him, but he is freaking out at the slightest thing. I feel terrible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back