Bettas problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Buxom

Reaction score
Hey, one of my bettas (bleu) has bloated up. its persisted for about three weeks so I doubt its dropsy. I've fasted him for a few days and have given him multiple epsom salt baths to no avail. he remains active and lively (hiding from me mostly out of fear of the salt baths.) I can't tell if its a bad case of constipation or an internal parasite. Can anyone offer any advice?
P.s. he lives in a 15g heated, filtered, planted aquarium.

Thank you!

Hi there, sorry to hear that your fish is not well. In order to help we’ll need you to answer some more questions. The more we know, the more likely we are to be able to help you.

What kind of filter is it, canister, HOB or sponge?
How much water do you change?
How often?
What water conditioner do you use?
What do you feed?
How much?
How often?
Apart from the betta is there anything else in the tank? Real/plastic plants, decorations, shrimps, snails etc.
Have you added anything new recently?
What temp is it heated to?
What are you readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Hi, and thanks for the reply
The filter is a Aqueon Quietflow 20
(I did say he was in a 15g but really it's a divided 30g)
As for the water I top off the gallon or so that evaporates each week and do a 4-5g water change once a month to pull debris from the bottom,
I condition their water with Fluval and feed Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, once a day, one large pinch (maybe 20 pellets or so but they start to sink before they can eat them all)
In my divided tank I have to male bettas (safely apart) 8 Harlequin, 6 Congo tetras, 1 bought snail and a infestation of common snails, one catfish, and about half a dozens species of plants plus 2 flowing betta logs.
I haven't added anything new
The tank is heated to 74 fahrenheit
And for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate I can't tell right now I'm waiting for the test kit to come in the mail.

In a 30 gallon tank you should be changing 15 gallons water every week.
Topping up is not recommended because although water evaporates the minerals in the water do not so that you are effectively making the water harder on a continual basis.
When you get your test kit, please post the results. Even if ammonia and nitrite are both zero, with such small infrequent water changes you may find the nitrate level is quite high.

If the tank is divided so that there is one betta in each side, how are the other fish divided? Half of each species in each half or all of one species in one side and all the other species in the other half?
Congo tetras need 48 inches swimming room, so even an undivided 30 gallon tank is too small for them. They are also active fish which will stress a betta. And the tetras will be stressed by being in a tank that is too small.
Bettas should also be kept alone as they are not community fish.

You may well find that it is a combination of poor water conditions (inadequate water changes, topping up 'hardening' the water) together with the stress of living with unsuitable tank mates that is adding to the problems with your betta, if not actually causing them.

Hi again and thank for your reply
Just found out that I don't have congo tetras (miss labeling at pet store) http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/pristella.php I have this, the schooling fish are each in their respective half of the tank and I only have one catfish because the other died same with snail. I'll start doing water changed each week I didn't know about the mineral thing... But 50% of the tank water every week? isn't that bad for the good bacteria in the tank? I've never heard of such a large water change unless you have a problem like high ammonia, I've only ever heard of 20-30% changes weekly. As for stress from multiple tank mate I jave read that bettas can be keeped with others as long and they don't attack the betta so that why I chose those type, was this infromation really wrong?

I'm glad to hear they aren't congo tetras :). Though even X-ray tetras need 24 inches swimming length, as do harlequin rasboras.

I do 50% weekly water changes on both my tanks. It won't harm the bacteria because they don't live floating in the water - they live in the biofilm which is tightly bound to surfaces, and other bacteria live in the substrate. But large water changes do remove all sorts of chemicals excreted and secreted by the fish.

Topping up should always be done with pure water - something like reverse osmosis or distilled water. That way you put only water in the tank to replace evaporated water and not water plus minerals.

I have never kept bettas with any other fish. I have had about half a dozen bettas, one at a time, in a 6.5 gallon tank. They just aren't community fish, no matter what you read. There are so many websites out there written by people who keep fish and don't necessarily know what is best for fish. Seriously Fish is the most reputable site and that also recommends keeping them alone.
I have just noticed that you keep the temperature at 74 deg F. This is a bit on the cold side for bettas - they need 76 to 82 deg http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-splendens-caresheet.423362/

Can I ask - what species is the catfish? If it's a cory, they are shoaling species and need to be in a group of at least 6.

But 50% of the tank water every week?
That is the absolute minimum you should be changing every week.

Why are people afraid of water changes?

As for stress from multiple tank mate I jave read that bettas can be keeped with others as long and they don't attack the betta so that why I chose those type, was this infromation really wrong?
Male bettas are best kept on their own,'

While the other fish may not attack the Betta he may attack them.

I'm glad to hear they aren't congo tetras :). Though even X-ray tetras need 24 inches swimming length, as do harlequin rasboras.

I do 50% weekly water changes on both my tanks. It won't harm the bacteria because they don't live floating in the water - they live in the biofilm which is tightly bound to surfaces, and other bacteria live in the substrate. But large water changes do remove all sorts of chemicals excreted and secreted by the fish.

Topping up should always be done with pure water - something like reverse osmosis or distilled water. That way you put only water in the tank to replace evaporated water and not water plus minerals.

I have never kept bettas with any other fish. I have had about half a dozen bettas, one at a time, in a 6.5 gallon tank. They just aren't community fish, no matter what you read. There are so many websites out there written by people who keep fish and don't necessarily know what is best for fish. Seriously Fish is the most reputable site and that also recommends keeping them alone.
I have just noticed that you keep the temperature at 74 deg F. This is a bit on the cold side for bettas - they need 76 to 82 deg http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-splendens-caresheet.423362/

Can I ask - what species is the catfish? If it's a cory, they are shoaling species and need to be in a group of at least 6.
Thank and yes he is a cory I didn't know that, I'll look more into catfish for my next buy... But I'm still left with the same problem I came to the forum with, my betta is very swollen and epsom salt baths(about 6-7 now hiding making it extra hard to catch him) haven't helped reduce the swelling he's only gotten bigger maybe 1.5-2 inches around he's been acting 99% the same only difference is the hiding from me when I get close to the tank (he really hates the net)

That is the absolute minimum you should be changing every week.

Why are people afraid of water changes?

Male bettas are best kept on their own,'

While the other fish may not attack the Betta he may attack them.

I can see what you mean, he does chase them but he is way way to slow to catch them he's mostly come to terms that he can't catch them and swims around carelessly.

My Betta chases red cherry shrimp and hes normally to slow to catch them but every now n then he gets lucky

They are there for my Betta to hunt and eat, Bettas love hunting and live food. Everything in my tanks is there to serve my fish, Cherry shrimp are food, Snails and Kuhli loaches keep the bottom and the glass tidy, The plants are low light and again are there because my fish need them.

All my tanks are Betta tanks, including the big one in my signature, Its a 6 foot 100 gallon tank with 5 female Bettas, 15 ( soon to be 30) Kuhli loaches, a 3 year old male BN, a bunch of shrimp ( over 50), I figured the girls needed some room plus I wanted " I have one of the biggest sorority tanks around " bragging rights.

Oh and I keep Kuhlis because I think they are a great little fish, I cant wait to see the reaction of the Kuhlis I already have when their numbers suddenly double.

They are there for my Betta to hunt and eat, Bettas love hunting and live food. Everything in my tanks is there to serve my fish, Cherry shrimp are food, Snails and Kuhli loaches keep the bottom and the glass tidy, The plants are low light and again are there because my fish need them.

All my tanks are Betta tanks, including the big one in my signature, Its a 6 foot 100 gallon tank with 5 female Bettas, 15 ( soon to be 30) Kuhli loaches, a 3 year old male BN, a bunch of shrimp ( over 50), I figured the girls needed some room plus I wanted " I have one of the biggest sorority tanks around " bragging rights.

Oh and I keep Kuhlis because I think they are a great little fish, I cant wait to see the reaction of the Kuhlis I already have when their numbers suddenly double.

Omg, wow, my biggest is 30g and I like to keep the numbers down so I have nothing impressive I also have one split 10g with 2 more bettas (I have 4 in all, between my 2 tanks) my 10g is just bettas and a cat fish I need to get another one though.

Well now you must show us some photos of the tanks.

This was one of my guys, I accidentally sucked him up in the siphon hose while doing a water change. 10mm hose.

This was one of my guys, I accidentally sucked him up in the siphon hose while doing a water change. 10mm hose.

Soon like 10:00 or something k

Also your pic only showed up black for me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back