Betta's Fins Drastically Decreased in Size?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

maxthefish

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum. I have a half moon betta fish that I've had about four months now. His fins were huge when I first got him, so much so that he seemed to have difficulty swimming. He was very beautiful; this was one of the reasons I picked him out! His first month or so went great, and then I noticed that his fins had started decreasing in size. I figured this was fin rot, so I quickly went about changing the water and ensuring he was in an environment where he could heal. There had been a small amount of algae growth at that time, so I assumed that was the problem. I waited to purchase aquarium salt until after changing the water. Within a few days, his fins looked a lot better and stopped decreasing in size. There was also some new growth.

I used an algae growth controller from that point on in the tank. He seemed to be doing well. However, someone pointed out the other day that his fins are so so much smaller than when I first got him.

My questions right now would be is this fin rot still? The two fins on either side of his neck are still the same size, it's the others that are so small. The pelvic and dorsal fins are quite a bit smaller, but the main one is the caudal fin. It is probably half the size it used to be. They do appear tattered looking, I guess - sort of like a crown tail would look? But there is no reddening around the edges, or black/white. He acts completely healthy, eating and swimming around very actively. I recently purchased a heater, and he loves it! If this is once again a form of fin rot, how can I go about helping? Are there other things it could be? I know bettas are often bred to have the large fins and they often can't support them. My final question, is it possible this is permanent damage? I don't want him to suffer although he acts normally.

Thank you so much in advance!

Here are the pictures of him. If you notice the silvery bits that are close to his body, those aren't new - they've been part of his coloring since I got him. As you can see, his tail fin is the most troublesome. It's extremely short. He currently lives in a 1.2 gallon tank with a live plant, a turtle cave, and a heater. The temperature is 82*F. He is near a window but the blinds stay closed. I do 100% water changes every week, and a cleaning at least every week and a half if not every week. I know that a bigger tank is ideal, and I'm looking into a 3 gallon right now, but it will be difficult. It isn't the price of the actual tank, it's purchasing all the necessary things to go with it that's the problem.
IMG_6317.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG

have you de-chlorinated the water, also what are the parameters I ask again, its very important, also you should AT THE LEAST have a 5 gallon tank for just a betta fish.

BettaBettas is right, five gallon minimum is an absolute must. Big pet stores like to make people think that just because bettas can live in those little cups that they can be happy and healthy. Big lie on their part.

I don't have room for a five gallon tank. The most I could do is probably a three. I don't know what to do beyond this because I want the best environment for him. I suppose I could give him to someone that can afford and has the space for a larger tank.

I don't have room for a five gallon tank. The most I could do is probably a three. I don't know what to do beyond this because I want the best environment for him. I suppose I could give him to someone that can afford and has the space for a larger tank.
Five gallon tanks really aren't that large if you buy the right one. I bought a 5 gallon aqueon mini-bow and bought a simple side table from walmart, it fit's perfectly in the corner.
Here is an image I found on google of the minibow on a counter if that helps, I don't have any good pictures of mine but I can see if I can get one up for you in a little while
156922499_aqueon-mini-bow-5-gallon-aquarium-complete-starter-kit.jpg

I managed to get my mini-bow on sale for 29.99 U.S dollars at petsmart. There are also all kinds of other five gallons out there of different shapes and sizes, it's not really recommend to have a TALL aquarium for betta as they need to get to the surface to breath, but a floating log/leaf for them to rest on can help with this if surface area is the issue for you. I'd shop around first and if you still can't find a suitable new tank for your betta you can re-home him :)

Five gallon tanks really aren't that large if you buy the right one. I bought a 5 gallon aqueon mini-bow and bought a simple side table from walmart, it fit's perfectly in the corner.
Here is an image I found on google of the minibow on a counter if that helps, I don't have any good pictures of mine but I can see if I can get one up for you in a little while
156922499_aqueon-mini-bow-5-gallon-aquarium-complete-starter-kit.jpg

I managed to get my mini-bow on sale for 29.99 U.S dollars at petsmart. There are also all kinds of other five gallons out there of different shapes and sizes, it's not really recommend to have a TALL aquarium for betta as they need to get to the surface to breath, but a floating log/leaf for them to rest on can help with this if surface area is the issue for you. I'd shop around first and if you still can't find a suitable new tank for your betta you can re-home him :)

Okay! I looked around for one and I think I'll most likely go with that one. My original plan was keeping him on my desk, but it is rather small. It probably wouldn't bother me, but if I do get this one it is small enough that I can put it on a table/dresser. Thanks so much! Do you have any advisement on why his fins would be that way? Also, another question about tank set up. I do have live plants and will plan to put them and a cave in my new tank, but right now I have gravel. Do you suggest something else, such as sand or marbles? I like the way the sand looks but I worry it would get very dirty. Thanks again!

Okay! I looked around for one and I think I'll most likely go with that one. My original plan was keeping him on my desk, but it is rather small. It probably wouldn't bother me, but if I do get this one it is small enough that I can put it on a table/dresser. Thanks so much! Do you have any advisement on why his fins would be that way? Also, another question about tank set up. I do have live plants and will plan to put them and a cave in my new tank, but right now I have gravel. Do you suggest something else, such as sand or marbles? I like the way the sand looks but I worry it would get very dirty. Thanks again!
Like I said, the type of tank I have was small enough to fit on a small side table I got from walmart. So I imagine a similar table/ dresser would be fine. You can always read the measurements on the box and compare them to whatever you plan to set the tank on. As for gravel a lot of people on here use regular old play sand, I've personally never used it but I prefer a smaller gravel. Nothing large and chunky in my main tank. But bettas don't really forage in the gravel, so size is kind of your choice, just make sure you can still vaccum the gravel easily when you clean the tank. As for marbles and stuff? It's best to try and imitate a more natural environment for your betta. Lot's of people like to use bright colors and weird glow in the dark things but a natural environment, especially if you use your live plants, would look much nicer in my opinion. As for receding fins the only thing I can think of is advanced fin rot. What are your water parameteres? Such a small tank can have spikes easily and quickly if not properly cleaned and often cleaned. I'd recommend you get a test kit and first see if your water is the issue. Secondly do at least two fifty percent water changes a week, if you clean the gravel you kill two birds with one stone by removing uneatenfood/poop and getting water out at the same time. How often and how much do you feed your betta? Betta have stomachs smaller than the size of their eye so it's very easy to overfeed them. If your water parameters are safe and stable and no improvement is shown after steady water changes and due diligence you COULD turn to medicine, but be very careful with these. Oh and also, is your tank heated? If so, what temperature do you keep it at?

I've successfully used aquarium salt to treat fin rot before, but it was not advanced fin rot, only at the beginning stages. Here is a link, please make sure you first try maintaining clean water and frequent changes before you decide to treat with salt or medicine, as undue stress on a betta will result in disaster. Medicine should only be used when it's needed, not just convenient. Here is an article I followed when treating my betta, and remember it NEEDS to be aquarium salt, not table salt. Follow the instructions EXACTLY as betta are sensitive to salt. Again, I stress you try frequent water changes and maintaining stable water parameters before you try any chemical/medicinal treatment.
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

As for medicine there are many out there and I'm not sure which to recommend as I try not to use medicine unless I need to. There are many "all around" medicines that cover various diseases and some that you can buy online that directly target fin rot. Do your research if you decide to go with meds and if and when you do use them follow the instructions EXACTLY. Best of luck to you, and if anyone on here can give better advice than I please follow up with them :D

Like I said, the type of tank I have was small enough to fit on a small side table I got from walmart. So I imagine a similar table/ dresser would be fine. You can always read the measurements on the box and compare them to whatever you plan to set the tank on. As for gravel a lot of people on here use regular old play sand, I've personally never used it but I prefer a smaller gravel. Nothing large and chunky in my main tank. But bettas don't really forage in the gravel, so size is kind of your choice, just make sure you can still vaccum the gravel easily when you clean the tank. As for marbles and stuff? It's best to try and imitate a more natural environment for your betta. Lot's of people like to use bright colors and weird glow in the dark things but a natural environment, especially if you use your live plants, would look much nicer in my opinion. As for receding fins the only thing I can think of is advanced fin rot. What are your water parameteres? Such a small tank can have spikes easily and quickly if not properly cleaned and often cleaned. I'd recommend you get a test kit and first see if your water is the issue. Secondly do at least two fifty percent water changes a week, if you clean the gravel you kill two birds with one stone by removing uneatenfood/poop and getting water out at the same time. How often and how much do you feed your betta? Betta have stomachs smaller than the size of their eye so it's very easy to overfeed them. If your water parameters are safe and stable and no improvement is shown after steady water changes and due diligence you COULD turn to medicine, but be very careful with these. Oh and also, is your tank heated? If so, what temperature do you keep it at?

I've successfully used aquarium salt to treat fin rot before, but it was not advanced fin rot, only at the beginning stages. Here is a link, please make sure you first try maintaining clean water and frequent changes before you decide to treat with salt or medicine, as undue stress on a betta will result in disaster. Medicine should only be used when it's needed, not just convenient. Here is an article I followed when treating my betta, and remember it NEEDS to be aquarium salt, not table salt. Follow the instructions EXACTLY as betta are sensitive to salt. Again, I stress you try frequent water changes and maintaining stable water parameters before you try any chemical/medicinal treatment.
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

As for medicine there are many out there and I'm not sure which to recommend as I try not to use medicine unless I need to. There are many "all around" medicines that cover various diseases and some that you can buy online that directly target fin rot. Do your research if you decide to go with meds and if and when you do use them follow the instructions EXACTLY. Best of luck to you, and if anyone on here can give better advice than I please follow up with them :D

Okay, great! I checked the measurements and it should fit on my desk :) I'm glad about that! I have the small gravel as well. I like that best, but I want whatever will give the best living conditions for the betta. I do 25% water changes 1-2 times a week, so I'll increase this to 50, and also purchase a test kit when I buy the new tank this weekend. I do normally clean the gravel when I change the water. I put only a very small amount of pellets in the tank once a day, and remove what he doesn't eat in about 3 minutes. He's a picky eater and kinda stubborn, so I give him at least three! I also do a once a week fast day and he occasionally gets treats. He isn't really a fan of bloodworms, but he enjoys mysis I think it's called? And daphnia? I do have a heater! The water is kept around 80*F at all times, with the occasional one degree fluctutation.

I will definitely do the water route first before medication. I absolutely don't want to cause any unnecessary stress. Thanks so much! I appreciate all your advice! I sure hope his fins regrow!

Okay, great! I checked the measurements and it should fit on my desk :) I'm glad about that! I have the small gravel as well. I like that best, but I want whatever will give the best living conditions for the betta. I do 25% water changes 1-2 times a week, so I'll increase this to 50, and also purchase a test kit when I buy the new tank this weekend. I do normally clean the gravel when I change the water. I put only a very small amount of pellets in the tank once a day, and remove what he doesn't eat in about 3 minutes. He's a picky eater and kinda stubborn, so I give him at least three! I also do a once a week fast day and he occasionally gets treats. He isn't really a fan of bloodworms, but he enjoys mysis I think it's called? And daphnia? I do have a heater! The water is kept around 80*F at all times, with the occasional one degree fluctutation.

I will definitely do the water route first before medication. I absolutely don't want to cause any unnecessary stress. Thanks so much! I appreciate all your advice! I sure hope his fins regrow!
Just do the fifty percent to have extra clean water while you attempt to help his fins grow, once he gets better you can go back to partial water changes twice a week. I usually do about a 30 percent water change twice a week in my five gallon for my betta. Best of luck!

Just do the fifty percent to have extra clean water while you attempt to help his fins grow, once he gets better you can go back to partial water changes twice a week. I usually do about a 30 percent water change twice a week in my five gallon for my betta. Best of luck!
Okay, thank you! I actually came across a one day sale with a 5 gallon tank for 20 dollars, with a filter and other things included! It was a really great deal! Thanks so much for all your help!

Okay, thank you! I actually came across a one day sale with a 5 gallon tank for 20 dollars, with a filter and other things included! It was a really great deal! Thanks so much for all your help!
Just make sure you let the new tank cycle before you switch tanks! The move can be stressful on the betta especially if the new home you move them to isn't ready yet. You can help seed the new tank with some bacteria by taking a PORTION of your current tanks filter media and putting it in with the filter of the new tank along with the cartridge that the new tank kit supplies, this will help speed the process. For now keep your current betta's tank with extra clean water until the new one is ready. Best of luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back