Betta Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aleksandar

Reaction score
Hi to all :)

I have new 72 liter tank, so can anyone please advise what other fishes can i keep with Betta. 
I havent yet introduce the Betta in the tank i will for 4-5 days from now, and i want to put some other fishes before the Betta.
The tank is cycled. Please tell me some common fishes cos i dont think i can easly find something else in my country

for a 72 liter you could have 6 panda corydoras and you could possibly have a group of tetra/pencilfish/smaller rainbowfish no barbs as they will shred fins. as for the tetra/pencilfish/smaller rainbows it is a risk as your betta may not get on well or the other fish might not get on well with him is very chancey keeping betta in a community its down to the individual fish btw no livebeares gouramis as theyre long flowing fins fool the betta into thinking theyre rival males and this will lead to well um
rip.gif

You need to keep two things in mind with the betta - one: temperament and two: temperature.

From a temperament standpoint, panda cories are a good mix with most bettas. 

But, from a temperature standpoint, its not a good mix.  Bettas should be kept ideally in the range of 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit (26-28 degrees Celsius).  Whereas, the life cycle of pandas are sped up in those temps, so they should be kept at 72-77 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Of course, you might wonder, well why not just keep them at 77-78 degrees Fahrenheit?  In my opinion the answer is this:  Both species will suffer as a result.  The betta will be more susceptible to disease and the corydoras will be more likely to live abbreviated lives due to the increased temperature.

What are the dimensions of the tank? Perhaps sterbai cories would be alright (Eagles?) as they can be kept at warmer temps.

Dimensions are 60 cm lenght, 40 cm high and 30 cm wide 

In that case... :good:  A group of 6 sterbai would work well.

I have XL peppered cory catfish with my betta and they get on fine. When I first introduced the catfish to my betta, he was afraid of them, I was worried he might attack them that's why I bought the XL ones, they are twice the size and I thought it might put him off. Seems to have worked they live very peacefully together and my betta seems to like being with them, I'll find him chilling at the bottom with the catfish sometimes watching them. I think it really depends on your bettas temperament, I had another betta years ago who I put with neon tetras and he killed everyone of them, he was a lot more aggressive then the one I have now.

I keep Corys(green), some neon tetras, and ghost shrimp with my betta. He's a pretty chill dude and hasn't killed or attacked anything yet so I would think temperament is something to consider.  I love the ghost shrimp, you can see the food move to their bellies when they eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back