April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Bree2000

Reaction score
Hi there hopefully I have gotten the correct category for my question :) I have recently purchased a 22 litre tank and was looking at getting a betta. From my research this seems like a good size, but I was wondering about tank mates. Is there any tank mates that you recommend or would a Betta be happier on its own? Opinions seem to vary a lot online. I wonā€™t be getting any fish until the tank is cycled and Iā€™ve had the water tested but would love to hear peopleā€™s opinions so I can look into different options. This will be my first time having a Betta (Iā€™ve got another 150 litre tank with Guppies, Cory catfish etc) so any other advice will also be much appreciated.

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated:)

The tank is perfect for a betta on his (or her) own, no other fish. Bettas are not good community fish and are best kept alone
But a nerite snail would work, and they come in various sizes and colours.

You can cycle the tank faster if you take some media from your other tank. But mature media and lots of live plants, especially floating plants which bettas like would appreciate, would probably mean you don't need to cycle it - provided you make sure the plants are thriving before getting a betta.

The tank is perfect for a betta on his (or her) own, no other fish. Bettas are not good community fish and are best kept alone
But a nerite snail would work, and they come in various sizes and colours.

You can cycle the tank faster if you take some media from your other tank. But mature media and lots of live plants, especially floating plants which bettas like would appreciate, would probably mean you don't need to cycle it - provided you make sure the plants are thriving before getting a betta.

Thanks so much for your advice! I will have a look into the snail. My tank is starting to get a bit over crowded with live plants at the moment so Iā€™m planing on moving some of them to the new tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back