Betta, Tank Mate Suggestions.

Kay1123

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 6, 2007
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Michigan
I'm considering setting up my small 7ish gallon tank.

I'm for sure going to get a male betta. Just have to find the right one since places around here all get the same plain ones. Still pretty but not what I want.

Anyway, I'm looking for any ideas as far as mates for him. Even if it's just shrimp or something.

Oh yes, I have hard water but it's never been an issue before with any of the bettas I've had.
 
African Dwarf frogs, or ghost shrimp should be fine. However some members over in the betta forums have had some problems with their bettas attacking the ghost shrimp though.
 
An apple snail would work, but I would be cautious about the oto/cory recommendation. Both are schooling fish that feel most comfortable in bigger numbers, and oto's need a lot of algae and diet supplements. Also, really depends on the personality of the betta...mine would attack the apple snail that I put in his tank.
 
my fighter shares his tank with :

1 borneo sucker
1 zebra snail
1 apple snail
and for a while 2 amano shrimp
 
I think it will depend on your betta. I tried to put an african dwarf frog in with my betta and my betta was not having it.
 
As already said, I think it often depends on each individual Betta. However, having said that, mine lives quite happily with Corys and Kuhli Loaches and I've never noticed any trouble between any of them.

I would like to put some Amano Shrimp in with him but I'm too scared in case he eats them :P I am reluctant to add anything new at all actually because I think he might take it as a threat. I do wonder if the reason he accepts the others is partly because they were all added around the same time (in fact the Corys were the same day).


Edit: Oh and I did have an Oto in with him for a while and they seemed to be quite happy together, although he was moving to a new home anyway so I can't say long term how they would have got on.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top