FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Would you have bought this guy?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
My betta resistance has been dwindling after I founds some sort of 4L glass bowl in my house that's apparently been gathering dust for years. I don't even remember it or what was in it. I wasn't sure if they make heaters/filters for 4L tanks though I certainly have the plants/bacteria to support the endevour. Anyone yay or nay on the idea?

I personally do not like bowls, I think they are unfit for fish. Don't know how you would attach a filter to it.
Bowls should be filled with decorative crystals and sat on the mantle :p

I'm a bit uncomfortable with any tank less than 10g, but if it was just for a betta I'd feel the bowl would have adaquet swimming area. My LFS somewhat recently has been trying to grab people into buying these round betta bowls that are sitting on top of ornately decorated metal pieces but those are probably more like 2L at best.

I am not a fan of bowls...period.  Now in saying that, if the bowl was big enough for a heater (around 3 gallon) and the person took care and made sure to keep the top covered and keep up with water changes (since filtering a bowl would be difficult at best) then it would work.  No smaller than a 3 gallon though.  I have seen recently some really nice planted betta bowls that have made me be able to overlook that they are bowls.  4L is way to small in my opinion and does not provide enough room for a betta

I'm a bit uncomfortable with any tank less than 10g, but if it was just for a betta I'd feel the bowl would have adaquet swimming area
.Ok this comment and the concept behind it, irks me.  I hate when people think that bettas don't deserve a decent sized tank because of some misconception about where they come from and their activity level.  They deserve the same consideration that all other fish.  They need plenty of space to swim, a heated tank, and clean water (whether you run a filter or do lots of regular water changes -- same outcome).  Sorry, rant over.  I am sorry if this was not the thought process behind the comment.

Wildbetta said:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with any tank less than 10g, but if it was just for a betta I'd feel the bowl would have adaquet swimming area
.Ok this comment and the concept behind it, irks me.  I hate when people think that bettas don't deserve a decent sized tank because of some misconception about where they come from and their activity level.  They deserve the same consideration that all other fish.  They need plenty of space to swim, a heated tank, and clean water (whether you run a filter or do lots of regular water changes -- same outcome).  Sorry, rant over.  I am sorry if this was not the thought process behind the comment.

This was my first thought when I read that too which is why I didn't reply. I don't know why people think they are inferior. 

Bettas are no Michael Phelps. They're fat dad in a intertube at best, though even fat dad needs a decent sized home they also put a very constrict hold on stocking. I've seen some betta tanks in tanks 5L or less in this forum. At least I could explore the idea before going through with anything.

Inferior was a completely incorrect term for my statement as I was asking for the logistical possibility for the fish's health and happiness.

Beautiful Betta -
But. I voted no, as I'm in love with Crowntails only (; Haha

Ny82 said:
What a beautiful pic! I love Irish setters. They are so graceful. Sorry about your loss
sad.png

We are putting our faith in you because we all hear the stories about how risky it is to breed siamese fighters but you are very knowledgeable and have the experience so we trust you! 
Good luck
biggrin.png
Thanks, Ny82, I appreciate that about my lovely dogs - gone but not forgotten :)

Oooo, knowledgeable, not sure about that, still have so much to learn.  I do my research though before attempting anything and therefore would hope to be able to achieve the goals I am hoping for.  Therefore, bring beautiful healthy Bettas into the world.

TO ALL: Can any further comments about the dogs from now on be put in the Topic with their image, so that we do not go of Topic in here :)

DreamertK said:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with any tank less than 10g, but if it was just for a betta I'd feel the bowl would have adaquet swimming area. My LFS somewhat recently has been trying to grab people into buying these round betta bowls that are sitting on top of ornately decorated metal pieces but those are probably more like 2L at best.
DreametK, firstly I appreciate you reaching out and asking the question in the first place
applaud.gif.gif
  My thoughts, re: "if it was just for a Betta", please be aware that in the wild they live in very vast areas of water although shallow, there is a misconception re: Bettas that we in the hobby need to assist in changing.

Re: your LFS, sadly often (not always) the LFS will be in it for profit and not for the welfare of the fish.  I recently went quite a distance to view some fighters in an LFS.  When I got there they were selling them in small plastic bowls to unsuspecting new comers, with no heating of filtration.  The fighters in these bowls were lifeless and just sat on the bottom, very sad to see, especially in the UK.  I walked away with nothing from this store and would not recommend it to anyone.  Thus, please do not be guided by what the LFS are doing, but by the people who keep and know what is best for the fish from research and personal experience.

DreamertK said:
Bettas are no Michael Phelps. They're fat dad in a intertube at best, though even fat dad needs a decent sized home they also put a very constrict hold on stocking. I've seen some betta tanks in tanks 5L or less in this forum. At least I could explore the idea before going through with anything.

Inferior was a completely incorrect term for my statement as I was asking for the logistical possibility for the fish's health and happiness.

In respect to the Betta, they will swim as much as they can in the space they have been given.  As with anything they can survive in a small area, but as someone has said before "surviving is not thriving".  All my Betta boys are active and love to explore the area they have been given.  They appreciate nooks and crannies and live plants to rest in.  In respect to having seen some tanks for Bettas less than 5L, as per my thoughts before, this does not mean it is correct.  I understand your thoughts of trying before investing further, but to be honest you will find that the water will not remain stable in such a small space and also any Betta will become lethargic accordingly.

As you were asking "for the logistical possibility for the fish's health and happiness" hopefully you have been given some guidance to ensure this outcome :)  A heater and filter (sponge is a good one for a Betta) as well as some places to explore and rest are the best way to ensure you objective.  Therefore I would recommend you forget the bowl idea and consider a small tank, like many lovely ones on here for your Betta.  You will find it more interactive and less work due to the water remaining at its optimum for the Betta to be comfortable.

As I started my response to you, I appreciate you asking the question here.  However, if you want further advice and assistance on this subject, may I kindly ask that you start a new Topic on the subject, appropriately titled so that others will come and assist you in your mission to own a Betta.  I am glad that you have found your "betta resistance has been dwindling" and that you want to ensure a happy and healthy Betta - we look forward to welcoming you to the Betta Club
59.gif

Can you add your location to your profile as it assists in advising you further, due to different countries products etc.

ReiRei said:
Beautiful Betta -
But. I voted no, as I'm in love with Crowntails only (; Haha

I love CT's too, yet my 
wub.png
has steered towards the Plakat.  I used to find these less attractive but now own two lovely Plakats and love how strong and active they are.

There is a potential new Betta on my can I resist list?  I need to decide by 9am in the morning and call to reserve him or he maybe sold.

Let me know what you think?

As you can see he
wub.png
 himself. 

P1090353-Copy_zps0db68b76.jpg

Potentially he would match my lovely girl ...

P1070496_Copy_zpsa635ba07.jpg

I would definitely get him!!

Arrgghhh, thanks I think 
unsure.png
  Sometimes the thought of extending my MTS is not a good one.  Oh where to put the tank with him potentially in 
Dunno.gif
  I do not know his cost yet as they were not priced up so may decide once I know this.

He is a Plakat which I like, and very feisty.  The girl is a Halfmoon BE apparently but I have been unable to get a male for her.  I was advised that he would be fine for her, anyone any knowledge of this and the potential outcome of such a mix?

I believe you will get some HM, PK, and possibly some HMPK.  EE is a submissive trait but with both parents carrying it, you stand a high chance of having some EE fry.  Most will be the salamander coloring I think (betta genetics are complicated).

Thanks Wildbetta, so you call Big Ears (BE), Elephant Ears (EE)?

Thanks to you all for encouraging me, however, you really are not very supportive of my MTS condition in assisting me to get over it 
lookaround.gif

Guess who has just arrived home and is floating in his bag?

So you got him!!!! What are you calling him and where are the pictures????

Most reactions

trending

Back