FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Would you have bought this guy?

• Yes

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
He is unusual, poor bristle nose and lucky Ralph!

Lucky lucky fish!!! Mine will have to make do with a 30L tank once it's cycled! lol

Mamashack said:
Lucky lucky fish!!! Mine will have to make do with a 30L tank once it's cycled! lol
And vaders is only a 22!
Perhaps an upgrade after we've upgraded our cottage :D

Shelster said:
And vaders is only a 22!
Perhaps an upgrade after we've upgraded our cottage
biggrin.png
I'd need an upgrade in income first! lol
My cottage is basically a 2-up, 2-down with a bathroom snuck in between the 2 bedrooms so it's a bit cramped. I hope I don't get bitten by the betta bug as I literally haven't room to swing a cat! lol

I've wanted a dragon scale for a while. And a HM, and a SD, and a CT. I have 3 LFS that sell good bettas. None of them sell dragons, HM, or SD. Another LFS sells CT, but they are always sick, injured, fin rot, and half dead. Even on the days of and after they get a new shipment. I would get a nice boy online, but I can't bring myself to spend so much on a fish, unless is was a rare color or tail type.

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs...

I have resisted responding as I wanted to get your views, but have been watching with interest, and at present it is a 50/50 split on having got this boy.  I went to the LFS yesterday to pick up my live food and some more Rasboras Espeis (love 'em), and he was still there.  I would guess he will probably go today.  I would not have got him, as stunning as he was, because of his finage.  I have found that the boys with the flowing fins have more issues and I have since become a fan of the Plakat, which you can find out more about here.  However, I am looking for a BE Purple Butterfly Halfmoon, to go with this stunning girl, who is really like a Butterfly when she swims.  The LFS have a lovely lilac male, who would be perfect, but alas he is not a BE.

P1070496_Copy_zpsa635ba07.jpg

Shelster said:
...How many bettas do you have RCA?

Now let me see, I have ... six boys, the second one in my signature I sadly lost, he was lovely, very interactive and fed from my hand.  So I got the third one in my signature who is the rudest fish I own!  He comes up for his food, and disappears promptly, never interacts and sometimes sleeps on his head!  I have a picture of this so let me know if you want to see it?

I currently have eight females, in the sorority tank in the signature picture.

So that makes a total of fourteen
yay.gif

TallTree01 said:
I said yes. He's a stunner! However, you have sommany bettas you can barely get out your front door already?
biggrin.png

Too true, especially when I am doing water changes, as there are buckets, hoses and equipment everywhere
59.gif

frapadoodle said:
Don't have a third option.
I didn't get mine soley on coloration. Had my eye on an orange VT. It was more attitude, and how he interacted with me. So got a red CT.

Yes I too like them for their attitudes, and often pick the boys based on that.

essjay said:
I voted no.

I had a betta that colour only mine was a superdelta. He went blind, something I've since learned can happen to dragons. With mine, the white scaling grew over his eyes; by the time he died, one eye was completely covered and the other had just a tiny bit of black left for him to see out of. I've sworn never to get another dragon.

Edit - must learn to spell

I have recently heard this about Dragons, need to do more research.  The one in my profile picture is the one I would need to keep an eye on for this.  Excuse the pun
wink.png

betta fish said:
Well you are right!  resistance is indeed futile!! I went back to the lfs but they didn't have what I wanted so I couldn't leave empty handed could I? he was still there 
yes.gif
 so he came home with me and I got some plants too, wisteria and Java fern, he has a 95l tank all to himself! well him and a few apple snails plus a baby bristlenose 
biggrin.png
I've called him Ralph, he's very feisty! settled down immediately, flared at his reflection and chased the bristlenose into it's tunnel lol!

Ha,
welcomeani.gif
Ralph
balloon.gif

That is funny as you were resisting so well and then gave in, so yup resistance is futile - although I am still managing to be sensible, for once!
Saw a boy similar to Ralph at the LFS yesterday.  He was almost the same although I would say only his head was white, whereas Ralph seems about 50/50.

nikkifro8994 said:
I've wanted a dragon scale for a while. And a HM, and a SD, and a CT. I have 3 LFS that sell good bettas. None of them sell dragons, HM, or SD. Another LFS sells CT, but they are always sick, injured, fin rot, and half dead. Even on the days of and after they get a new shipment. I would get a nice boy online, but I can't bring myself to spend so much on a fish, unless is was a rare color or tail type.

Isn't it a shame how abused these poor fish are?  I know what you mean about spending the money on a fish, but to be honest, I get so much pleasure from them all I have found getting a lovely fish on-line is sometimes the best approach.  If they are healthier and more what you like you will find you will not regret it.  After all if you divide the cost between the 3-5 years you could potentially have them is it then that much?

I voted no just because I already have as many fish as I can handle :) and he would fight with my other betta like there's no tomorrow.  But if I had an empty tank YES YES YES!

Funnily enough he is still at the LFS!  They moved him from a large display tank to a smaller one and I do not think he looks as stunning as he cannot "strut his stuff".  Alas, too far for you CoryLover95, but that will save you getting a new tank ;)

Interestingly, the split for buying this boy is still at 50/50.  The problem is Supraman they have so many lovely boys to tempt me, now they know my weakness, that sometimes (not often) I have to be sensible ...

In this case however, I was not...

Your LFS puts their bettas in tanks?  Mine keep them in little plastic cups with holes at the top.  It looks so miserable and obviously I never get to see them swim or flare.  Can't even see their fins properly :(

How much is he at the lfs? it's unusual for such a beautiful fish to still be there unless the price is too high!

NeonBlueLeon said:
Your LFS puts their bettas in tanks?  Mine keep them in little plastic cups with holes at the top.  It looks so miserable and obviously I never get to see them swim or flare.  Can't even see their fins properly
sad.png
I hate that, I have seen the videos on YouTube about Walmart and cups it is very distressing to see 
no.gif

Supraman said:
RCA is it possible to ship a betta to Canada? We don't have a good selection of fish in my town and I'd happily pay postage
I think you would have to have a shipper do that for you as they manage all the import licences, travel packs etc.  I am not familiar with Canadian laws for shipping fish so Google it and see what you can find out.  You may find there is someone in Canada doing it already and you could just have the fish shipped from them to you.  I get my Thailand imports that way i.e. they have already been bought into thee UK and quarantined etc, although I did look into shipping direct to me and it is possible if I decided to go down that route ever.  Good luck, let us know what you discover.

betta fish said:
ow much is he at the lfs? it's unusual for such a beautiful fish to still be there unless the price is too high!
I think the most they are is £15, so he is probably in that ball park.  Thing is they have so many lovely ones now and he does not look as stunning in the smaller tank up against red dragons etc.,  although I was surprised to still see him there too.

As promised in other Topics, Boy Number 2, so...

Would you have bought this guy?

Yes

No
I can't do another poll so you will just have to state in your responses...

Here he is for your viewing pleasure...
MaleMA-May2013_zpsbb30379e.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back