Betta Log Or Small Floating Log Experiences...

excl.png
Oops, sorry everyone, I meant Java Moss was what I had the problem with, Java Fern grows well in all my tanks. 
Just got some Anubias via TFF, so will let you know how I go with it
smile.png

LOL  Yeah java moss is bad to get hair algae which is what you seem to be describing.  I don't have as much difficulty with it but it can take a while to attach to something.

Wildbetta said:
LOL  Yeah java moss is bad to get hair algae which is what you seem to be describing.  I don't have as much difficulty with it but it can take a while to attach to something.

Yes it was hair algae just could not recall its name at the time, thanks and glad I was not the only one with the "attachment" issue with it.  It has put me off mosses for now, due to the hair algae
sad.png

In my last aquarium I had one of the Zoomed floating logs. My guy really liked it! Until one day... the log started to not be as buoyant as it used to be. Within a few weeks or so, it just sunk to the bottom. It was really weird- the one I had in the past didn't do that.
This is what I wound up doing with it, which my guy liked quite a bit.
The inside of my log was perfectly smooth and I didn't notice anything particularly rough on the outside, either. I will totally get another one the next time I set up one of my aquariums (I'm currently 7 months pregnant with kid #2- too busy!
wink.png
)

Thanks for the info., what a lovely fish Pearl Jam is, do you still have him?

I have recently bought some different sorts of plumbing pipes and have something in mind for my old boy's retirement home.  I will of course post pictures of the project in due course.  May get a Betta Log at a later date, again will advise in here if I decide to.  In the meantime, the pipes I have may suffice.

Thanks! No, unfortunately he died about a year ago. He was a wonderful Walmart find :)
Good luck and have fun making your retirement home!

Sorry to hear of PJ's loss
rip.gif
  PJ
He was indeed a good find and he did well to find you too.

The retirement home is now in action, I have taken some pictures and will start a new topic with them in due course.  Tank maintenance of course comes before sorting my photos
yes.gif

I have been looking at these on-line and was wondering if anyone has any experience of either or both of these? Some reviews have said they need to be sanded down before use, and can wear away easily. However, generally Bettas seem to love them. The ones I have come across are by ZooMed.

OR, have you used any other floating device for your Bettas?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and realize that this is an old posting but I'm just starting up a new Betta tank and didn't like the Floating log as it quickly gets dirty and also the Male Betta that I have didn't like it floating around the tank. So, I drilled a small hole in the Stump that protrudes from the side and attached an old black suction rubber left over from a faulty heater. The floating Log didn't last long though so I crafted a realistic looking log from a 4" length piece of brown UPVC down pipe. Its about 2" diameter.

After cutting the pipe, I shaped both ends with a mini grinder, to look more like a rotten hollow log. Just a few curves etc and softened the edges. Then using an engraving bit in my Dremell tool, I scribed a random bark pattern onto the whole outside surface. Again I drilled a small hole in the side, just the right size to squeeze the end of a rubber suction cup through ( the other one from that same heater). I had a few left over artificial branches from a thrown out tank decoration so I pushed those through small drilled holes and melted the inside bit to flatten it out to keep it in place and to avoid snagging the Betta fins. I stuck it to the glass on my current tank near the surface and my Betta loves sitting in there to rest. I decided to cut another larger whole in the side and shape it like each end just to give him some alternative ways into the log. In all it took around 40 minutes work to make it.

I can't find the photos that I had when I made this so I'll take a few more and upload in the next few days.

Hi

Get yourself a resin log like this,
Large-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Ornament-Water-Hollow-Tree.jpg

then hang it near the top using a bit of wire.

Like this
hNmEGQK.jpg

My blue Veiltail Betta loves his floating log. However I might just make a couple of these PVC pipe versions for my Delta tail and Crowntail.

Most reactions

Back