Betta Log Or Small Floating Log Experiences...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have been looking at these on-line and was wondering if anyone has any experience of either or both of these?  Some reviews have said they need to be sanded down before use, and can wear away easily.  However, generally Bettas seem to love them.  The ones I have come across are by ZooMed.

OR, have you used any other floating device for your Bettas?

ThatAquaristChick1234 said:
My betta loves his Zoomed Betta leaf hammock.
Mine won't touch his. I tried it with three different fish and none of them cared for it.

As for floating logs, I have never tried them, but I do use fake logs with three or four openings at the bottom of the tank which most of my betta appreciate.

Thanks for all your replies, it seems no-one has used the floating logs!?

I have an old fighter and he sits on the bottom a lot, although does come up for his food.  I was just wondering if he would like a log to sit in?  I am considering moving him in the next couple of weeks to a small tank of his own, so that he can just chill for the rest of his days.  I may get him one of these logs to try out.

I personally have found them to be quite rough/sharp and I wouldn't use them with fancy bettas myself.  I have one in my largest tank and it works out great with my wild bettas whose fins are nowhere near as fragile as a fancy's.  I do have a L/F BN in that tank and she will occasionally catch a fin on the log and rip it a little so I know that it could rip a betta fin.  I know that people say you can sand the edges down but from personal experience--I don't see a good outcome since the places that it is rough are actually little holes and indentions like a true piece of wood so it would be difficult at best.  What I do in my other tanks because I love the idea of the log but not the price tag(those things are rediculous !) is take a piece of PVC pipe-run a piece of fishing line through it and tie it off on top- and then hook it to a suction cup which hangs in on the side of the tank.  Instant floating cave!  I cover them with moss to give it less of a "in your face PVC pipe" feel.

Thanks Wildbetta I was thinking of making something and trying it out, so it is good to know how you have done yours.  I was also thinking of using silicone sealant on any rough sections, but I think I will leave it for now until I can see one for myself vs online.  In the meantime, I will try out your solution.

I can remove mine from the tank and take pictures of the areas I am describing that are rough and would be tough to make safe for delicate fins if you would like.  Also some pics of my finished PVC floating tunnels.  :)

Some pics of your PVC floating tunnels would be good thanks.
I do not want to put you to any trouble but if you get chance seeing a pic of the floating log would be neat too.
thanks.gif

I picked up some waste pipe yesterday and the fishing line in a sort of brown colour.  I also got some clear suction cups and a hack saw - for the pipe of course.

Wildbetta said:
[deleted text]...plus some pics of my finished PVC floating tunnels. 
smile.png

Got any pics I can take a peak at please
lookaround.gif
?

Currently planning the "retirement home" in my head.

Oh sorry!!  For some reason I thought I had already posted these pics.  LOL

Here is a pic of one of them -- this one is the "messier" looking one.

CAM01176_zpsb94a67ae.jpg

Here is the pic of the other one (actually has my male Betta Midas in there while holding his eggs/fry)

CAM01243_zpsf41cb2d5.jpg

Hope these help.  I can see where this would be a great idea for your retirement tank as this will help to keep your male near the surface.  I recommend drilling at least one hole near the top (if you can find a way to make one that is at least the size of your betta) so he doesn't have to leave the tube if he wants a breath of air(kinda like the betta log/floating aquarium log has).

thanks.gif
  they look a lot larger in diameter than what I picked up yesterday.  Sorry a few questions;
  1. Do you remember what sort of pipes they were? 
  2. Were they already this length or did you cut them?
  3. Do you know the name of the moss on them?
Good tip about a breathing hole, thanks.

I can see where this would be a great idea for your retirement tank as this will help to keep your male near the surface
That is what I am hoping for so that he does not spend all his time sitting at the bottom, which I think is contributory to his fin problems.

Just need to decide where to house the new "retirement home"?  He is currently in the kitchen, my bedroom is already full, with three aquariums
wink.png
  My friend said the spare room but I rarely go in there, would hate him to become depressed, as Betta's seem to do this sometimes!  Thinking...
unsure.png

I bought the PVC already in this size and is aprox 3in diameter and about 4-5in in length.  It is in the plumbing section of my local hardware store.  I also keep some of the curved pieces and some other smaller straight pieces since some of my wilds(Betta Albimarginata for example) are smaller and like the smaller "tubes".  The moss is a mix of xmas and java I believe.  It was part of a big ole bunch given to me by a friend from out of town.  

As for where to put your "retiree", I would leave him in the kitchen if possible.  It is familiar to him and I don't think moving him to the spare room would necessarily be good for him.  Going from a high traffic area to a very slow traffic area when he is already not in the best of health might not be such a good idea.  On a younger more shy fish that tended to tail bite from too much excitement -- it might be a good plan but for him -- not so.

Cheers Wildbetta, I may take my long bit of black waste pipe back and get what you have.  Yours looks like a waste pipe for the toilet or something, but then I am not a plumber - anyone? 

I tried Java Fern but I did not have much success with it.  It would not attach itself to the rocks I fastened it to and started to produce a stringy algae which wrapped around the other plants.  Not sure what I was doing wrong, but in the end I binned it.  May take a look at the Christmas moss you mention.

Anyone any ideas on the Java Fern issue?

Yeah it is a pipe for the toilet plumbing that I am using.  

Not entirely sure about the java fern.  I sit mine on a piece of wood/rock/ect and tie some fishing line around the roots and wood/rock/ect and leave it.  I haven't really seen the roots "attach" although I am sure they have (I never remove the fishing line).  I have a love/hate relationship with java fern.  It grows excellent in one of my tanks and melts/falls apart in another one.  The one it melts/falls apart in -- the roots sometimes will attract stuff like hair algae.  I just trim the roots back a bit.  Personally I prefer anubias and bolbitus fern for my rhizome plants VS java fern.  I also prefer attaching moss to stuff VS java fern but just my personally opinion though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back