Betta Fish Hanging Out at Bottom of Tank & Breathing Heavy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hello, I'm posting again because his symptoms have not improved nor gotten worse. He still moves around the tank periodically, occasionally coming to the top for air, as shown in the video linked in the original post. I was able to get him to eat about four pellets a few days ago, but he has not been interested again since then. He is still lying at the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. I am very concerned because he's either going to die of starvation or illness soon. I'm not sure how to proceed; I know I can't ignore the problem because he must be suffering. Here's a photo I took about an hour ago:

Fish September 3.jpg

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to do next.

Are your water quality readings all still good? Is ammonia still zero? Nitrates and PH still under control? Maybe you could switch up his food? Live food? I feed my betta a few live fruit flies occasionally and he seems to love that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I wish I could be more helpful. Are there no other symptoms that seem unusual other than lethargy?

Water quality doesn't appear to be an issue anymore. I've tried feeding him blood worms, but he ignores those as well. I kind of doubt he's suddenly decided he dislikes the pellets as he also ignores movement outside of his tank. For example, occasionally, he used to flare when people approached his tank, but he doesn't seem to care about that anymore. Other than the lethargy & breathing, he does appear to have a bit of white discoloration under his mouth. He also looks odd when swimming, almost as if he's aged a few years in this past week :( His movements are super erratic. He practically shoots across the tank rather than gliding. Thanks for the response! No worries if you don't have any ideas; I think this one has got us all stumped.

I took a closer look because I noticed that his fins looked odd while he was swimming around. I was shocked to see that his fins have become clamped together. Does this look like a case of fin rot or something more serious? I suspect he's going to require medication of some sort as water changes have done absolutely nothing thus far. Here are a few photos:

IMG_0085.png

IMG_0088.png

No problem about the tag.

It does look like a mild cause of fin rot to me. I don’t think it’s swim bladder disease. Did you ever get around to testing your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite?

Are his scales sticking out like a pine cone?

Could the fin rot be responsible for causing his other symptoms as well? I did get around to testing the water parameters again. Nitrite & nitrate levels were both still at zero. Ammonia had crept back up a bit, so I performed another 80% water change. I don't believe his scales are sticking out, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Here's a better photo:

IMG_0091.png

Were you still doing daily water changes? Ammonia shouldn't be creeping up at this point, not if the tank is established and you're doing daily water changes. @EllRog @Ch4rlie @essjay ?

OP, can you tell us what filter you're using, and how you clean it please?

Also, I notice in the video that the tank doesn't have a lid, do you usually cover the top? In the room the tank is in, does anyone spray any air fresheners, furniture polish, deodorant, or burn any candles? Use any kind of product to clean the glass?

Also where are the tank decorations from? I'm wary about a lot of those since not all sources use fish safe paint. If it was painted with the wrong thing and not sealed, it could be leeching chemicals into the water column.

The way you've been getting ammonia readings since the end of last month though, and still today, makes me suspect chronic water quality issues are taking their toll in the poor thing. Ammonia poisoning is no joke, and it would account for his symptoms. When ammonia has continued to return, he hasn't even had a chance to recover, and it's possible that the damage done is just too extensive.

I had a few readings at zero, so I reverted to weekly water changes. Should I continue to perform daily water changes regardless of the water parameters? Here is the filter that I'm using.

I clean the filter using a hose & compressed air. I do not cover the top of the tank; a pet store employee told me that this was not necessary as long as I installed a filter. The tank didn't come with a lid either. We do not spray any of the products you mentioned in the room; I do not use any products to clean the glass.

Interesting that you mention the decorations. I had never really thought about that as being a possible issue. I purchased the decorations from PetSmart. Top Fin is the manufacturer of at least one of the decorations.

Fin rot does usually not do this to fish... there is no doubt there is fin rot present, but that is not what is causing your betta to stay near the bottom.

Smaller tanks are harder to keep the parameters in check. I suggest upgrading to a 10g tank; 5g minimum.

Have you actually cycled the tank?

If you think you have cycled the tank, how did you do this?

I noticed you say your nitrate reading is at zero, if the tank had been successfully cycled you should definitely have a reading for nitrate of some sort as it’s a byproduct of the bb consuming ammonia and nitrite.

Also the fact you say ammonia has returned at certain points and you did 80% and 100% water changes in your previous posts. Again this points to the tank not being fully cycled.

Have you thoroughly cleaned the tank and filter at any point ? This could be a reason why it appears your tank is not cycled, possible bb has been wiped out and cycle crash has occurred.

Your betta is definitely showing signs of ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

One last thing, as others have already mentioned, 10% water changes is a bit too low should be at least 50% to improve water quality and a 2 gallon tank is too small as you are aware of from others mentioning this in earlier posts.

It is extremely difficult to control water parameters in a 2 gallon tank, even for the most experienced keepers as there is little or no margin for error and in such little amount of water ANY readings of ammonia is undoubtedly going to have a effect on your betta very quickly.

Sorry if some of those questions or points I’ve made are obvious.

But it’s for the betta that we are concerned for and trying to help you out so the more information we, as well as you, provide the better it is for you and the betta.

I think if its still breathing heavily/very fast, it means ammonia and nitrite poisoning.
I am not sure how extensive is the damage to the gills or other body organs.
It might be too late now.

For ammonia/nitrite poisoning, probably you can dip him in Methylene blue for 10-20mins. Get a small container/pail where you can perform the dip.
Just add 1-2 drops of Methylene blue into the container until the water turn very light blue.
Take note that Methylene Blue will stain everything tht it comes into contact with. So, wear a glove when using it and make sure it doesn't drip on the floor or anything else.

Observe the fish during/ throughout drip. It its struggle in the water, quickly remove it as I am afraid the gills might become very sensitive now due to the damage.

I wonder whether salt can help with the recovery of the gills.

Ammonia poisoning:

Methylene Blue usage:

Last edited:
@PheonixKingZ Thanks for the suggestions on the larger tank. I am looking into possibly upgrading his tank soon.

@Ch4rlie To be honest, I'm not quite sure what cycling a tank constitutes. My tank houses only the one betta; I followed the steps provided by the pet store when adding him to the tank. The process consisted of initializing the tank with fresh tap water + conditioner, then allowing the water to acclimate to room temperature before adding the fish. My weekly maintenance since then had been to replace 10% of the water with fresh tap water + conditioner. I did clean the tank & filter during the 100% water change, which I have since learned was not a great idea :(

@Lajos_Detari Thanks for the resources! I will look into purchasing methylene blue. Once the dip is complete, would I transfer him back to his tank?

Also, any thoughts on Ammo Lock?

Thanks!

@Ch4rlie To be honest, I'm not quite sure what cycling a tank constitutes. My tank houses only the one betta; I followed the steps provided by the pet store when adding him to the tank. The process consisted of initializing the tank with fresh tap water + conditioner, then allowing the water to acclimate to room temperature before adding the fish. My weekly maintenance since then had been to replace 10% of the water with fresh tap water + conditioner. I did clean the tank & filter during the 100% water change, which I have since learned was not a great idea :(

Thanks!

Ah, that answers that then. As I suspected your tank is not cycled.

This means you have no beneficial bacterias that deal with ammonia and nitrite.

Ammonia is a toxic element for fish, shrimps and inverts.

Ammonia is given out from any livestock in the tank by just simply breathing but obviously toileting will give out ammonia as well as decaying plant leaves.

THIS is what your betta is suffering from, ammonia burns and damages their internal organs and gills.

I would suggest you read the following articles to help give you an idea of what I referring to.

And since you have a fish in your tank, you are essentially now going to do what is called a fish in cycle. So have a read of this as well.

A lot of information to take in and a big learning curve but I’d still urge you to read those articles to help make you understand a little of what’s going on in your tank and with your betta.

Don’t worry, we’ll be here to help and advise you what you can do if you get stuck. Just simply ask. :)

@Lajos_Detari Thanks for the resources! I will look into purchasing methylene blue. Once the dip is complete, would I transfer him back to his tank?

Also, any thoughts on Ammo Lock?

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, move it back immediately to its tank after the dip.
With the damage gills, I am afraid it might be sensitive to any kind of medication.
Though the Methylene Blue helps to increase oxygen in its blood, it may also hurt its gills(my opinion).
So, you cannot leave it long in Methylene Blue.
Probably you can only do a quick dip.
Observe the fish during the dip and if there is any sign of discomfort(struggling in the water), you must move it out fast.

Ammo lock has some use but changing the water to remove the ammonia is still the best.
You will have to change water everyday if the ammonia is still there.

I know of some Bettas breeders who used small container to keep them. But they change the water 100% everyday.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back