The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

caroline12

Reaction score
Hey guys!! My bettas fin rot was finally going away and now it's back and worse than ever. I have been doing 90% water changes daily, adding the medical stuff called Bettafix along with a bit of aquarium salt to kill any bacteria. It was good for awhile but has gotten significantly worse and I don't know what to do! I feel like I've tried everything Any recommendations would really help!

Attachments

• 9EFDC35B-673E-496D-85B4-ADD8501B26DD.jpeg
    9EFDC35B-673E-496D-85B4-ADD8501B26DD.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 115
Iā€™ve heard somewhere that both betta fix and melafix are not that great for bettas but Iā€™m unsure how true that is. On the other hand, Iā€™ve heard great things of almond leaves, you could always try those.

Iā€™ve heard somewhere that both betta fix and melafix are not that great for bettas but Iā€™m unsure how true that is. On the other hand, Iā€™ve heard great things of almond leaves, you could always try those.
Okay, thanks! Do I just get them at my local petstore?

Yes betta fix is a form of melafix, while it says it is fine for bettas it is not good for them because of their labyrinth organ

I would look there first, they are likely to have them. If you canā€™t find them, you can try ordering them online, they may come in packs of more than one.

Before you use them, however, please be aware that they may stain your water or fake decorations! If you are ok with this then I would look into the almond leaves. I can link a site for you if youā€™d like.

Iā€™m sure other people have some good alternative methods for approaching this so be on the lookout for more replies, you may find one to be more convenient.

I hope the best of luck to you! :)

To help with the fin rot do a 75% water change every day or every other day. Fin rot is usually caused by poor water quality so this should help

Betta fix and melafix contain tea tree oil. A wonderful essential oil in terms of humans however tea tree oil will float on the top of the surface. When your betta goes to breath they will coat their labrynth organ with the oil. This will eventually suffocate them. I would recommend using indian almond leaves, frequent water changes, a tank change, live plants and proper water parameters to combat fin rot

Do not add BettaFix or MelaFix. Both are extremely bad for bettas. They will damage the bettas breathing organ called the Labyrinth.

Do frequent water changes, does aquarium salt, and get more live plants.

Do not add BettaFix or MelaFix. Both are extremely bad for bettas. They will damage the bettas breathing organ called the Labyrinth.

Do frequent water changes, does aquarium salt, and get more live plants.
Great, thank you!

I would look there first, they are likely to have them. If you canā€™t find them, you can try ordering them online, they may come in packs of more than one.

Before you use them, however, please be aware that they may stain your water or fake decorations! If you are ok with this then I would look into the almond leaves. I can link a site for you if youā€™d like.

Iā€™m sure other people have some good alternative methods for approaching this so be on the lookout for more replies, you may find one to be more convenient.

I hope the best of luck to you! :)
Thank you!! I think I will order them online.

Have you checked the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

No problem. Keep us posted on his status. :)

Have you checked the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?
I haven't checked the water nitrate, etc levels yet but I use an internal filter and try to clean it everytime I do a full water change or when I see its not working very well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back