The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gurpreet._._

Reaction score
I got 7 rosy barbs in a 40 gallon all of them are of 2-3inchs in size with a 3 spot gourami. The issue is that 3 spot has grown too large so I am thinking of replacing it with a betta(male). My Rosy barbs have never nipped the fins of the gourami and 40gal seems right for this many fish.

The Rosy's are locally breeded so have been living there whole life in 26C temp so that shouldn't be a problem.

Please suggest if this is a good idea or not cause i really wants this to work.(sorry for bad English)

Last edited:
Hello :)
Measurements of your tank ?
Pictures please.
Size of your 3• ?
Rosy barbs usually bite long fins.

Hello :)
Measurements of your tank ?
Pictures please.
Size of your 3• ?
Rosy barbs usually bite long fins.
diamond shaped tank of 3 feet wide and about 1.5 ft front to back... ik rosy barbs fin nip but they never really bothered the gourami who has been with them for 6 months

So Length 91 cm *Width 45 cm * heigh ?
Gourami has no long fins but Betta especially HM-CT-RT-VT has.
Can you send pictures of your tank ?

It's not recommended to keep bettas in any type of community set up. Youtube will tell you differently, but they set up the tanks for the purpose of the video and these tanks do not have long term success. Betta's are aggressive solitary fish, prone to over eating too. In a community set up, they can eat themselves to death, stress themselves to death or spontaneously snap and kill the rest of the tanks inhabitants. I'd recommend keeping a betta in a 5 gallon (minimum) planted aquarium with a snail at most

@gurpreet._._
some examples of Betta (or Killi) well set tanks :
A killis.jpg

A spelndens.jpg

AA killis.jpg

So Length 91 cm *Width 45 cm * heigh ?
Gourami has no long fins but Betta especially HM-CT-RT-VT has.
Can you send pictures of your tank ?
It isn't the best tank and not the one you might expect no live plants with white pebbels(artifical) so i dont want to send any image feels embarrassing... :( sorry

It isn't the best tank and not the one you might expect no live plants with white pebbels(artifical) so i dont want to send any image feels embarrassing... :( sorry
We've all been there and you won't be shamed here ? I had a betta tank of artificial plants about a year ago because I simply couldn't afford to buy plants for it. It's a process that takes time. Everyone has to start somewhere

bad idea, the rosy barbs don't care about the blue gourami because it has short fins and can stand up for itself. Male Betta splendens have long flowing fins and are half the size of the gourami. The barbs will rip it to pieces.

Bettas CAN work in a community setting, I've done it, but not with these fish, for reasons above...

Bettas CAN work in a community setting, I've done it, but not with these fish, for reasons above...
It's probably easier when you're an experienced fish keeper with alot of knowledge, but someone less experienced won't be so successful which is why I'd steer them away from it. On top of that, what's the point in running all of those risks for our own enjoyment? It's great to have a pretty tank, but my first focus is the benefit of the fish that depend on me to cater to their needs as best as I can lol

It's probably easier when you're an experienced fish keeper with alot of knowledge, but someone less experienced won't be so successful which is why I'd steer them away from it. On top of that, what's the point in running all of those risks for our own enjoyment? It's great to have a pretty tank, but my first focus is the benefit of the fish that depend on me to cater to their needs as best as I can lol
Good points.

i got my answer. Thanks to everyone :) I ll go for something else... can u guys suggest some centre piece fish to keep with those rosy barbs i m thinking to get a dwarf gourami now

Would depend on your water parameters but maybe a pair of dwarf cichlid / apisto / kribensis

Being totally honest i ve got no test kits or any fancy things just got a thermometer and heater and the tank is always at 26°C, so i dont really go for expensive delicate fishes I like fishes those can handle a wide range of parameters... i recieved this tank from my grandparents who don't want to take care of it anymore... i did the basic research cycled it, got a filter, thermometer and a heater. I am a student so cant afford all the expensive things... i really want to do a planted tank and my parents may give me enough money after my exams...
Would depend on your water parameters but maybe a pair of dwarf cichlid / apisto / kribensi

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back