What's new

Betta ate an algae wafer. Now what?

mookat

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So Ruth, my year and a half old betta, decided to eat *an entire tetra algae wafer* intended for the two mystery snails that occupy his tank. I had not given them algae wafers previously, so did not expect Ruth to be such a piggy; he had also just had three frozen blood worms.

24 hours later, and his belly is HUGE. Should I just fast him for a few days to see if it goes down? Should I try giving him an unshelled pea? (If the latter, this would be my first time doing this, so would need directions).

This fish and I have been through a lot together, so I'm really hoping the nugget hasn't sealed his fate for one ill-gotten snack.

NickAu

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Yes just fast him, Do not give him pea. Daphnia is much better and acts as a laxative.

Also make him flare it causes them to poop, stick a small mirror against his tank for no more than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
mookat

mookat

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
This actually works out well; I've started feeding the snails in a small cup that floats around the top of the tank to prevent the betta from stealing the wafer and he flares at the cup a bit so he's getting a little bit of that already.

He also keeps begging at the top of the water for more food. o_O Silly bettas, with their insatiable hunger.

NickAu

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Oh yes they are good at begging.

Search tags for this page

are algae wafers safe for bettas