The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you keep red cherry shrimp and betta fish together?

Generally yes, but the baby shrimp might get eaten. Make sure you have some plants in the tank for the shrimp to hang out and hide in.

If you notice the Betta starts hunting the shrimp, they will need to be moved out.

I have red cherry shrimps with my current betta, he ignores the adults. I put three shrimps, 1 female 2 males, in the tank with my previous betta which was very laid back and he didn't notice them. At every water change i had to rescue baby shrimps from the bucket and the population increased. When that betta died and I got the current one, I stopped finding baby shrimps in the bucket so presumably he eats them even though he doesn't eat the adults.

Several years ago, I managed to get a woodlouse in the tank. The betta I had then chased it all over the tank and only stopped when it lay motionless upside down on the bottom of the tank. I would not have been able to keep shrimps with that betta.

Every betta is different.

I have cherry shrimp in with my betta, and he doesn’t chase them at all. Maybe a super aggressive betta would have problems with them, but my dude is pretty lauded back. He won’t even flare at my other betta, who’s tank is right next to his! :dunno:

I have shrimp in with one Betta without issues though he does eat some of the babies from time to time but that works from me because it helps keep the population under control.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back