Betta Acting Strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Josh_Martin395

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post. I need some help with one of my new Bettas.
Issue: He stays at the top of the tank constantly.

1. I over-fed him when I first got him and now the tank smells like garbage and the water has a yellow tint with particles in it.

2. Recently added new decorations and substrate to aquarium.

3. Also did a %25 water change to try and help the food bacteria problem.

I know that the water quality is probably off and there most likely isnā€™t enough oxygen in the tank. I also know that he is probably stressed out over recent agitation. He is still very active and has fun swimming against the filter current on full blast. Just wonā€™t ever rest.

My question isnā€™t really whatā€™s wrong, itā€™s more of what should I do and how do I go about doing it.

Will add pics for better context.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 8F804967-5EF2-49A2-A652-A745F35EEE75.jpeg
    8F804967-5EF2-49A2-A652-A745F35EEE75.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 55
  • 32E7234A-B5CE-4351-AD67-CAF69CD1A730.jpeg
    32E7234A-B5CE-4351-AD67-CAF69CD1A730.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 53
  • 145F9B04-6C65-43C5-A67F-92EFBD2938D7.jpeg
    145F9B04-6C65-43C5-A67F-92EFBD2938D7.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 5F4F2A91-D43E-465E-BA0A-3AABC1F4A165.jpeg
    5F4F2A91-D43E-465E-BA0A-3AABC1F4A165.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 60
Hey this is my first post. I need some help with one of my new Bettas.
Issue: He stays at the top of the tank constantly.

1. I over-fed him when I first got him and now the tank smells like garbage and the water has a yellow tint with particles in it.

2. Recently added new decorations and substrate to aquarium.

3. Also did a %25 water change to try and help the food bacteria problem.

I know that the water quality is probably off and there most likely isnā€™t enough oxygen in the tank. I also know that he is probably stressed out over recent agitation. He is still very active and has fun swimming against the filter current on full blast. Just wonā€™t ever rest.

My question isnā€™t really whatā€™s wrong, itā€™s more of what should I do and how do I go about doing it.

Will add pics for better context.
Thanks!
Side note: I donā€™t always run filter on full blast, I was just trying to say that when I do, he loves it. I know it can be bad for them to have a strong current.

Just fix all the things that you know are wrong, and then get back to us if he is still not well.
Iā€™m not sure how to fix them. Should I do a %75 water change? Should I run the air pump harder to get more oxygen? Heā€™s only been in there for 4 days so I donā€™t know if thatā€™s too soon for a lot of new water.

Get into a proper maintenance routine...but first of all...did you cycle the aquarium fully?

Iā€™m not sure how to fix them. Should I do a %75 water change? Should I run the air pump harder to get more oxygen? Heā€™s only been in there for 4 days so I donā€™t know if thatā€™s too soon for a lot of new water.
I am going to let our Betta experts answer that for you.

Probably not because I donā€™t know what that means
Have a good read....

Probably not because I donā€™t know what that means
Hi Josh,
Welcome the forum.
Start by doing a large water change now, 75%. Use dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the tank water.
Get some floating plants, maybe eloeda too, they help process the fish waste and the betta will rest on them.
Buy the API master test kit so you can monitor and manage water quality. Any time the ammonia or nitrite is above 0, you will need to do a water change.

Last edited:
Yes to the 75% water change, using conditioned water only.
Siphon out whatever waste you can see on the bottom of the tank.
You can fast your fish for a couple of days, to give you a chance of getting on top of the waste management problem.

Your fish is at the top of the tank and 'enjoying' the filter flow because he's after more oxygen. Adding an airstone or two will help improve this, just by increasing the surface area of the tank.
Plants are also needed, to help with your waste management and these will also give your Betta some sense of security.
Another tip would be to add a background card to one face of the tank.
At the moment, he'll be feeling very exposed and vulnerable.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back